FreeBSD 11.0 RC3 Released, OS Still Trying To Get Out This Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    More like I attack people posting bullshit arguments in general. Post non-bullshit arguments against whatever, and I'm not attacking that.
    For you, fault lies always on "other side". Even when you are yourself acting stupid and not thinking things properly through, before storming to "smash another stupid argument"... Often enough, I post counter-argument or possibility you did not think on and it's "ringing silence" again.
    OpenRC is just sysvinit + multithreaded startup + bunch of minor things, and it's all done in scripts. So any answer about sysvinit vs systemd applies also to OpenRC.
    Question wasn't about sysvinit vs systemd at all.
    Very poethic name-calling is still name-calling and in this case even uncalled for as the fault is on your side.
    Old saying, just direct translation. I am not even sure you got any wild animals left in "smug West" so I had to deviate a bit, wasn't too sure you would associate anything with the word "boar". I know, some of the "civilized" and "educated" individuals have problems distinguishing between horse and a cow. I do hope you remember what "pig" should look like. Wild one is just hairy, bigger and has bad-ass fangs..

It's not plain 12-current, they do filter a bit the packages like Manjaro does with Arch or like Ubuntu does with Debian Unstable.
    As for Lumina I already said that it's not polished at all.
    Yes it's not "plain" CURRENT but it's not also far enough of'it to have much effect on stability. They could remove/fix most obvious bugs but the code itself has not been tested at all by wider user base.

About the Lumina and lack of DE's in TrueOS, systemd is the culprit here, bigger DE's are pretty much "Linux-only" by now.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      For you, fault lies always on "other side".
      Yeah, when someone says he is reacting when he sees fault on the other side, yes, for him fault is on the other side when reacting, I thought it was obvious.

Often enough, I post counter-argument or possibility you did not think on and it's "ringing silence" again.
      Nah, it's usually that I focus on other people posting wrong things on teh internetz.

Rest assured that you are still very likely wrong, I just don't have time to come disassemble whatever bullshit you came up with, again.

Question wasn't about sysvinit vs systemd at all.
      so "multiple questions" are now shrunk to "a single question"?
      Can you link it? Or explain better what you mean here?

Old saying, just direct translation.
      Still name-calling,

still I am not even sure you got any wild animals left in "smug West" so I had to deviate a bit, wasn't too sure you would associate anything with the word "boar".
      Yeah, we all live in archologies here, kilometer-high buildings that house whole cities and are protected by Robocops.

I know, some of the "civilized" and "educated" individuals have problems distinguishing between horse and a cow. I do hope you remember what "pig" should look like. Wild one is just hairy, bigger and has bad-ass fangs..
      Oooh, look, you're calling me stupid in a very long-winded way.

Yes it's not "plain" CURRENT but it's not also far enough of'it to have much effect on stability. They could remove/fix most obvious bugs but the code itself has not been tested at all by wider user base.
      No dumbass, they don't remove/fix bugs faster than the parent distro as that's nonsense.
      This approach works by delaying the arrival of non-critical updates and testing updates and letting through only updates that are stable as possible, and for Manjaro and Ubuntu works pretty well.

About the Lumina and lack of DE's in TrueOS, systemd is the culprit here, bigger DE's are pretty much "Linux-only" by now.
      And the guy that compiled GNOME3 above? Isn't that a bigger DE? They can sure be ported.

Comment

And the guy that compiled GNOME3 above? Isn't that a bigger DE? They can sure be ported.
        Yup, compiled Gnome 3 through ports and running it with no issues. The only annoying thing about this install is no hardware acceleration on my graphics card (Radeon HD 7850) - I can live with that for a month or two until the support filters into CURRENT, as Matt Macy + co. are working on importing the main DRM drivers from Linux and hope to eventually be in lockstep with Linux. In the meantime, llvmpipe is working just fine.

Admittedly therefore, out of the box the setup was not ideal - that is part of the fun for me though, tweaking/contributing and starting from nothing :-)

Comment

I installed rc3 on vm, works nice, and configuration work to get it run decent desktop was not bad. When full release happen I intend quite likely to replace PC-BSD with it. Either I have learned something from PC-BSD or FreeBSD has become somewhat more user friendly. Or both.

Comment

I just migrated from stable/10 over to stable/11 after seeing RELEASE starting to be built:
            FreeBSD is an operating system used to power modern servers, desktops, and embedded platforms.

These x.0 releases make me nervous, but the migration was pretty painless and everything works like it did before.

Not really certain I like the new vga terminals. The login prompts appear to take longer to show up and single-user mode looks to be broken. I'm not seeing any prompt for choosing the shell.

I had a slight hiccup with Wi-Fi. The TL-WDN4800 is still not properly attaching with if_ath. This was a problem in 10.x that I had assumed was fixed in 11.0. I had to hack the driver to force a US regulatory domain again. This took a lot longer than expected because the FreeBSD 11 kernel build system likes to place manually built modules into /boot/modules rather than /boot/kernel! Every time I modified if_ath, kldload revealed no new behavior because it was loading the old one from /boot/kernel!

Other than that, and the usual lengthy mergemaster phase, everything continued to work with my old FreeBSD 9/10 configurations.

Comment

Installed FreeBSD 11 Release to real hardware, not easiest thing to get work just like I wanted but after some googling and stubbornes now it works just like I wanted.
              And even after what I did to it to get KDE and NTFS mounts and so on to work it boots about as fast as Kubuntu 16.04 with SystemD.

Comment

TrueOS is a little bit of a different animal than FreeBSD. There are a few changes and differences most notably libressl and It uses pbi packages that are kinda like mac applications.. there is no reason you can't also use pkg or ports tho. There is also some tight integration with ZFS and even FreeNAS. I haven't looked at it for awhile but I may check it out again here soon. As I remember the configurations for it weren't like SuSE's Yast or anything they were standard normal FreeBSD configs.There is also GhostBSD for people looking for a "ready for desktop" version of FreeBSD.

The base OS really shines on servers and thats where you get all the big powerful advantages over other OS's but there might be a few reasons you'd want to use FreeBSD for a desktop.. mainly ZFS related or possibly you want DTrace or a system compiled with clang.

Comment

Hmm pbi packages? In fact latest PC-BSD and likely TrueOS too use plain FreeBSD packages. Only part of old pbi thing is that pbi is usually just pkg package with some pictures and description.

Comment

Originally posted by wikinevick View Post

What happens with "Pawlerson" is that he is a loser that hates the BSDs, and everyone that tries them, because he can't have the MacOS GUI in linux. (Just in case you are wondering what is wrong with him and the multiple usernames he attempts to impersonate).
                    It's just yours wishful thinking. Actually I hate os x GUI and that's why I'm using KDE not some os x ui clones (but I'll probably move to Unity 8 in the future). Furthermore, I'm using Linux, so I'm not a loser. If I was using BSD you could call me like that, because there are no technical reasons to use BSD (except zfs). I only have a single account, so if you have no arguments be quiet. Lying and implying is a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by TiberiusDuval View Post
                      And even after what I did to it to get KDE and NTFS mounts and so on to work it boots about as fast as Kubuntu 16.04 with SystemD.
                      Because there are less services running in your FreeBSD. Arch Linux with sys v could boot faster than Ubuntu with upstart. Depends on configuration.

Comment

Working...
                      X