FreeBSD 11.0 RC3 Released, OS Still Trying To Get Out This Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I came to see why a BSD article has so many comments and now I know

On the more "about BSD" topic, I like FreeBSDs networking. And I don't mean just their firewall but also the kqueue syscall and overall very efficient handling of sockets. Linux is a bit behind here.
    Last edited by Almindor; 19 September 2016, 12:16 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by PhilPotter View Post
      What is your problem exactly? I'm not forcing you to use it, I'm just saying I've used it and I kinda like it.
      I think his wife cheated on him using a Mac

Comment

Originally posted by wikinevick View Post

What happens with "Pawlerson" is that he is a loser that hates the BSDs, and everyone that tries them, because he can't have the MacOS GUI in linux. (Just in case you are wondering what is wrong with him and the multiple usernames he attempts to impersonate).
        Umm. Aqua isn't available on BSD either.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
          Wow, I came to see why a BSD article has so many comments and now I know
          It's usually like this here, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
            I think his wife cheated on him using a Mac
            Probably worse, an evil Mac fell itself on his innocent dog with the intent of killing it and succeeded.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilPotter View Post
              A sweeping generalisation from someone who clearly has an axe to grind - my interactions with the support community of FreeBSD over the last few days has left me with the impression that they are both pleasant and supportive for the most part.
              Yeah, they have plenty of linux/systemd/wayland haters there so beware. Any mention of linux/systemd/wayland quickly turns in a flamewar most times I saw poor sods do that.

Btw, did you try TrueOS (ex-PC-BSD and a FreeBSD derivative)? That's the most promising BSD for mass desktop usage as far as I know. Maybe not with default DE (Lumina, the only DE developed for BSDs).

Comment

If I recall right, RC2 revealed bugs that have to be addressed before "11-RELEASE" and solving some of them depend on feedback from people being affected.. Nothing stops anyone from installing "11-STABLE" though..

Release info https://wiki.freebsd.org/WhatsNew/FreeBSD11

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Yeah, they have plenty of linux/systemd/wayland haters there so beware. Any mention of linux/systemd/wayland quickly turns in a flamewar most times I saw poor sods do that.

Btw, did you try TrueOS (ex-PC-BSD and a FreeBSD derivative)? That's the most promising BSD for mass desktop usage as far as I know. Maybe not with default DE (Lumina, the only DE developed for BSDs).
                  You are not free of "flamewar-guilt" yourself, in fact, you jump on "systemd-haters" with an abandon. Btw, still have not gotten single response to a question how exactly OpenRC init is inferior to systemd, especially considering it wouldn't have introduced such gross differences and changes. I've asked this like half a dozen times by now, each time all I am getting for response is a ringing silence, like pigs hiding in a rye..

Wayland support for FreeBSD is coming btw..

TrueOS, IF you are prepared for 12-CURRENT, which is like unstable rolling-release linux distro. It's pure development branch and TrueOS is anything BUT stable. Lumina needs crapload of development before it's usable as a DE.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Probably worse, an evil Mac fell itself on his innocent dog with the intent of killing it and succeeded.
                    That's what I call a nasty kernel, this *BSD abomination must be eliminated, be it having a fast network.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                      You are not free of "flamewar-guilt" yourself, in fact, you jump on "systemd-haters" with an abandon.
                      More like I attack people posting bullshit arguments in general. Post non-bullshit arguments against whatever, and I'm not attacking that.

Btw, still have not gotten single response to a question how exactly OpenRC init is inferior to systemd
                      OpenRC is just sysvinit + multithreaded startup + bunch of minor things, and it's all done in scripts. So any answer about sysvinit vs systemd applies also to OpenRC.

I've asked this like half a dozen times by now,
                      Don't worry, the next systemd thread will come soon so we can repeat the same things we said in the last 20 or so threads, please hang on tight and don't post OT here that it's a thread about BSDs.

each time all I am getting for response is a ringing silence,
                      This is a forum not a teleconference. Consider getting a screen reader if you want to listen to what we wrote, or try reading.

like pigs hiding in a rye..
                      Very poethic name-calling is still name-calling and in this case even uncalled for as the fault is on your side.

TrueOS, IF you are prepared for 12-CURRENT, which is like unstable rolling-release linux distro. It's pure development branch and TrueOS is anything BUT stable. Lumina needs crapload of development before it's usable as a DE.
                      It's not plain 12-current, they do filter a bit the packages like Manjaro does with Arch or like Ubuntu does with Debian Unstable.
                      As for Lumina I already said that it's not polished at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X