TrueOS vs. DragonFlyBSD vs. GhostBSD vs. FreeBSD vs. PacBSD Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueOS vs. DragonFlyBSD vs. GhostBSD vs. FreeBSD vs. PacBSD Benchmarks

Phoronix: TrueOS vs. DragonFlyBSD vs. GhostBSD vs. FreeBSD vs. PacBSD Benchmarks

For your viewing pleasure this weekend are benchmarks of TrueOS 20160831 (the rolling-release distribution formerly known as PC-BSD), DragonFlyBSD 4.6, GhostBSD 10.3, FreeBSD 11.0-RC2, and PacBSD 20160809 (formerly known as Arch BSD) all benchmarked from the same system! Plus for reference to the Linux numbers are Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS and Clear Linux 10040 being compared to these BSDs on the same tests and hardware.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

bsd distros have very good results

Comment

I'm curious about Game benchmarks (BSD vs Linux) actually =)

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        bsd distros have very good results
        In scimark which was repeated for few times.

Comment

Why does TrueOS have the same blue color as the 2 Linux ones?
          And why using a Nvidia card for benchmarking open source operating systems?

Comment

So Clang is faster than GCC, but GCC gives better optimized binaries. Pretty much what I expected.
            I'm happy to see the BSDs do so well in Fhourstones and a few others. The BSD teams still have work to do, though.

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
            Why does TrueOS have the same blue color as the 2 Linux ones?
            And why using a Nvidia card for benchmarking open source operating systems?
            Don't know about your first question, but as to your second, Nvidia is currently the only GPU manufacturer providing native BSD graphics drivers. FreeBSD (and its decedents) has a compatibility layer to use Intel Linux graphics drivers and some other Linux binaries, but other BSDs don't. Many graphics-related benchmarks may not run at all on OpenBSD unless you have a Nvidia graphics card.

Comment

Originally posted by 137ben View Post
              ... Nvidia is currently the only GPU manufacturer providing native BSD graphics drivers.
              Only for FreeBSD!

NetBSD?
              OpenBSD?
              DragonflyBSD?
              MidnightBSD?

... Many graphics-related benchmarks may not run at all on OpenBSD unless you have a Nvidia graphics card.
              Where is your proof?

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                Only for FreeBSD!

NetBSD?
                OpenBSD?
                DragonflyBSD?
                MidnightBSD?

Where is your proof?
                Well, that was dumb on my part. Thanks for the correction.
                In that case, I have no idea why Micheal picked a Nvidia card for these tests.

Comment

Most likely because GPU has nothing to do with this tests at all.

Comment

Awesome article. Thank you for creating this. I wish, however, it and other articles like this had a better conclusion/summary based on the results. Maybe you could do this for Premium users? I often don't bother logging in as a Premium user because the benefits are not worth the bother of logging in.

Comment

Working...
                    X