Trying Out Eight BSDs On A Modern PC: Some Are Smooth, Others Troublesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out Eight BSDs On A Modern PC: Some Are Smooth, Others Troublesome

Phoronix: Trying Out Eight BSDs On A Modern PC: Some Are Smooth, Others Troublesome

Following the seven-way Linux distribution benchmark comparison published earlier this week, on the same system I set out to test a variety of BSD distributions on the same system and ultimately benchmark their out-of-the-box performance too. Those performance benchmark results will be published later this week while today were a few remarks I wanted to share when trying out TrueOS, DragonFlyBSD, GhostBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, MidnightBSD, and PacBSD (Arch BSD) on this modern Intel Xeon system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm really unfamiliar with BSDs. I noticed that TrueOS had wine-staging available in some form. I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to run 32-bit and 64-bit apps in Wine on BSDs?
    2. Is it possible to install NVIDIA's proprietary graphics driver on BSDs?
    3. Can Optimus be set-up on BSDs in the same manner as on Linux? (disable nouveau, tell X to display everything on the NVIDIA-0 source, install driver/32-bit libraries and compile kernel module)

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
      I'm really unfamiliar with BSDs. I noticed that TrueOS had wine-staging available in some form. I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to run 32-bit and 64-bit apps in Wine on BSDs?
      2. Is it possible to install NVIDIA's proprietary graphics driver on BSDs?
      3. Can Optimus be set-up on BSDs in the same manner as on Linux? (disable nouveau, tell X to display everything on the NVIDIA-0 source, install driver/32-bit libraries and compile kernel module)
      1. I haven't tried Wine on BSDs but it is supposed to be supported by upstream Wine... That is if you want to use the Windows binaries. FreeBSD does have the Linux compatibility layer where if you can get that working, you can get Linux binaries (such as Steam for Linux) running there. Hope to get that layer working fine on a box soon so ican run some fresh benchmarks.

2. It's generally easy getting the NVIDIA blob working on FreeBSD distros and even like PC-BSD has shipped and activated it by default. But on non-FreeBSDs your mileage may vary, at least with my limited experience.

3. Haven't tried such setups under BSD myself but might be possible considering its the X.Org Server and NVIDIA's binary blob is largely shared between Linux and BSD/Solaris.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Great that we have RL now, it is currently on 3th place of most played games on steam... likely because of this release for Linux

An ongoing analysis of Steam's player numbers, seeing what's been played the most.

Comment

Ah sorry, wrong BSoD, khm BSD... wrong thread OK

Comment

Did you ask on mailist on OpenBSD and NetBSD for behaviour? It should have worked I guess. Must be driver support?

Comment

OpenBSD and NVIDIA GeForce? It should be known from the beginning this is not gonna end well.

Comment

Ohhh.. sorry OpenBSD won't work well with Nvidia.https://www.openbsd.org/amd64.html

X Window System support is available for most graphics cards, using the X.Org server. As with other free operating systems it is highly recommended that Nvidia cards are avoided since this vendor continues to show tremendous resistance towards releasing information that would allow X.Org to support their hardware properly.

Comment

Originally posted by rockworldmi View Post
                  Ohhh.. sorry OpenBSD won't work well with Nvidia.https://www.openbsd.org/amd64.html

X Window System support is available for most graphics cards, using the X.Org server. As with other free operating systems it is highly recommended that Nvidia cards are avoided since this vendor continues to show tremendous resistance towards releasing information that would allow X.Org to support their hardware properly.
                  I wasn't testing the BSD graphics performance. Sans the distros where they enable X Server by default, I was testing all of them from a VT.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by rockworldmi View Post
                    Did you ask on mailist on OpenBSD and NetBSD for behaviour? It should have worked I guess. Must be driver support?
                    Probably their hardware support, but if it doesn't work out of the box, not worth my time to dig further.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X