Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out The FreeBSD-Powered TrueOS With Its Custom Qt Desktop

Phoronix: Trying Out The FreeBSD-Powered TrueOS With Its Custom Qt Desktop

While I've been running PC-BSD on some systems for years I hadn't tried out any of its rolling-release FreeBSD 11.0-based spins under the new TrueOS brand nor had I tried out the project's Qt-based Lumina Desktop Environment since it reached 1.0. That changed today with trying out the latest weekly spin of TrueOS x64...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i give a change too "new" trueOS and lumina desktop, they need a lot of work to make it a good desktop distro based in unix

Comment

Lumina is simply bad. I know it reached 1.0 recently, and I can say it's stable, but UX and design are the worse possible. I hope it gets better, as I really like FreeBSD/TrueOS and it would be nice to have a BSD-targeted DE. But nowadays, it can't even replace a raw openbox desktop.

Comment

As a OSS enthusiast I would say Lumina needs a makeover and is interesting.

As a average joe I would say Lumina is hideous, ugly and a joke. It sortof looks like a 2016 reboot of 16 year old Windows XP but with that old school KDE Crystal Icon set.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

As a average joe I would say Lumina is hideous, ugly and a joke. It sortof looks like a 2016 reboot of 16 year old Windows XP but with that old school KDE Crystal Icon set.
          I actually liked the "XP feel". Sort of middle-ground between Plasma and XFCE (latter is hideous for me). What I sorely hated was it's inability to get simple thing like wallpaper shown properly when used on "non-standard" resolution like netbook's 1366x768.

Comment

The whole article boils down to ... "it didn't crash at boot and it can launch 4 programs without crashing".
            We need more insights! Configurability, lagging and stuff like that. Not "Cool, I can boot it".

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

You could say that about *alot* of DE's. I played around with GhostBSD the other day and its default MATE desktop looked like a train wreck compared to the more polished MATE offered in Linux Mint.

I don't know the ratio of programmers vs graphical designers in the OSS community, but up until recently with Ubuntu Unity, KDE Plasma and Gnome 3, IMHO all desktops looked as if the programmers tried and failed miserably to do all the graphics themselves.

Comment

Wow it looks like a fake KDE3 desktop. Can't they just take a style from a recent distro?...

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
                  The whole article boils down to ... "it didn't crash at boot and it can launch 4 programs without crashing".
                  We need more insights! Configurability, lagging and stuff like that. Not "Cool, I can boot it".
                  What interests me more is how the intel drivers work. I have tried FreeBSD 11 and they don't support Skylake and cannot do sleep/resume correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
                    Which could have actually happened. I tried BETA from July and it crashed during POST on my Xeon gaming PC, right after CPU initialization. If there is newer version around, I am going to try it at some point.

And devs still had not actually fixed localization bug in install media where choosing Estonian language ("Eesti keel") assigned Ethiopian keyboard layout ("Amharic"). It's funny looking ancient script. It confused between "et" and "ee" abbreviations. Same thing has btw happened in couple of Linuxes in past.

I did report on it in PC-BSD bugtracker back in April, they acknowledged it, told they updated installer and I did not check before few weeks a go. When you are aware of the bug it's not an issue. Easy to manually correct from GUI installer. But if you are not aware...

Since you do not have to write much during installation, you may very well not notice it, end up typing in disc encryption password (you cannot see what you are typing for a password ofc) in this foreign script, have it accepted and be clueless as hell when after reboot. Because GELI prompt asks for password but simply does not accept it because pre-boot (not even kernel yet loaded) time it's using only latin characters. Whatever you typed for password in Amharic in GUI installer, you cannot duplicate it in GELI prompt. Result: unbootable machine and mandatory reinstall.

Comment

Working...
                    X