Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Details On PC-BSD's Rebranding As TrueOS

Phoronix: More Details On PC-BSD's Rebranding As TrueOS

Most Phoronix readers know PC-BSD as the BSD operating system derived from FreeBSD that aims to be user-friendly on the desktop side and they've done a fairly good job at that over the years. However, the OS has been in the process of re-branding itself as TrueOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For a moment I thought this was something to do with Tru64 on DEC Alpha's, lol.

Comment

Makes sense to do this. The folks who care will know that TrueOS is built upon FreeBSD. And the ones who don't, or who know enough about TrueOS from having a rack mounted SAN that has TrueOS in it, won't much care. All they know is that their SAN is rock solid so maybe TrueOS in their server or workstation will be just as solid.

Either way they call it, I am super excited about the FreeBSD/PC-BSD/TrueOS 11. To this day, PC-BSD was the only open source *nix OS that properly recognized my now six year old Intel motherboard with on-board RAID and properly set it up from scratch. All the Ubuntu derivatives never even saw it, and openSuse while seeing it and giving me the option promptly crashed it after a year. PC-BSD saw it, set up ZFS and it ran like a top with no problems. I only moved away since there was some software that hadn't made it to their Ports collection and it had some bugs and outright missing audio some of the kid's games. Plus my laptop install was an issue. So I moved back to Linux Mint where I have been for 3 years.

But that's the best thing about FOSS. Doesn't cost me too much other than time to find another and possible better solution to my computing needs. Which is why my server runs TrueOS while my workstation and laptops run Linux Mint. I would like to consolidate to one though. Maybe this time PC-BS....errr....TrueOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        ...openSuse while seeing it and giving me the option promptly crashed it after a year. PC-BSD saw it, set up ZFS and it ran like a top with no problems. ...
        "promptly crashed it after a year"? I'm not sure we're using the same meaning for 'promptly'. As for running ZFS on it, that's just saying "used it as a JBOD and did its own thing". That's not support.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          For a moment I thought this was something to do with Tru64 on DEC Alpha's, lol.
          That's exactly what came to mind for me. I wonder if they'll be sued by HP.

Comment

For reasons I can't quite work out, I've started to take great personal offence to any operating system that includes 'OS' in its name. Why do so many operating system developers feel the need to do this?! It IS possible to distribute an OS that doesn't explicitly identify itself as one in the name, right? I mean, none of the popular ones do it: Linux, Windows, Mac.. oh...

Comment

Originally posted by thefluffyone View Post
              For reasons I can't quite work out, I've started to take great personal offence to any operating system that includes 'OS' in its name. Why do so many operating system developers feel the need to do this?! It IS possible to distribute an OS that doesn't explicitly identify itself as one in the name, right? I mean, none of the popular ones do it: Linux, Windows, Mac.. oh...
              Well macOS

is written on their page http://www.apple.com/macos/sierra-preview/

Comment

I feel awash in swells of meh at this announcement.

I guess it's better than ManBearPigOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  To this day, PC-BSD was the only open source *nix OS that properly recognized my now six year old Intel motherboard with on-board RAID and properly set it up from scratch. All the Ubuntu derivatives never even saw it, and openSuse while seeing it and giving me the option promptly crashed it after a year. PC-BSD saw it, set up ZFS and it ran like a top with no problems.
                  This makes no sense. Why the hell are you even using on-board "RAID" (actually firmware-based software raid as there is no controller) when you can use mdadm on top of the plain disks running as AHCI.

Also lolwtf is that "set up ZFS", where? On top of the on-board "RAID"? ZFS needs plain disks too to work, just like mdadm. What the hell did you do in there?

No wait... I don't want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by jKicker View Post
                    Well macOS

is written on their page http://www.apple.com/macos/sierra-preview/
                    Your sarcasm detector needs recalibration.

Comment

Working...
                    X