No announcement yet.

More Details On PC-BSD's Rebranding As TrueOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes sense if you think about how it is pronounced. pee-see-bee-es-dee vs. tru-ou-es (or tru-os)

Shorter pronunciation is always more convenient. I liked the written PC-BSD more though.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Isn't that what BSDs do all day? Trying to be more Unix than the other BSDs? I assume their name choice was intentional.
      You're correct, but this doesn't convince me to go ahead and try the "only TrueOS". That sounds awkwardly sectarian.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
        You're correct, but this doesn't convince me to go ahead and try the "only TrueOS". That sounds awkwardly sectarian.
        I was trolling a bit. For reasons on why TrueOS is worth a try please see https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...-compatibility

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          I was trolling a bit. For reasons on why TrueOS is worth a try please see https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...-compatibility
          Fair point. I agree that there are good reasons to try TrueOS: Qt, LibreSSL, the way they handle the repositories and all the other great new stuff (I still need to find why I should prefer Lumia over KDE) - I just find the name "TrueOS" a misnomer. There is a chance that people will change that into "TrueOS (the former PC-BSD)"

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
            (I still need to find why I should prefer Lumia over KDE)
            As said in that thread, it's kinda meh right now and its goal is to have something like LXQt anyway, it's main selling point is that it is developed by them for BSDs, so it will be more future-proof and less mainteneance for them.

There is a chance that people will change that into "TrueOS (the former PC-BSD)"
            This assumes people know what a "PC-BSD" is in the first place. I doubt it is the case, if the goal is expansion outside the niche of systemd haters and permissive license fanboys then most people will see this distro the first time with its current name.

So at most it will be called "TrueOS (FreeBSD derivative)".

Comment

Working...
            X