Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFlyBSD Decides To Drop PulseAudio

Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD Decides To Drop PulseAudio

DragonFlyBSD developers have decided to remove PulseAudio from their dports packaging system and patch their desktop software to not depend upon this open-source sound server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hit that 100% CPU issue on Arch. Removed it and everything still works fine. No loss.

Comment

Argh, my arm itches and hurts.
      Let's cut it off...

Comment

"Running PulseAudio on DragonFlyBSD appears to cause problems for users, similar to PulseAudio in its early days on Linux"

Wait early days? Did PulseAudio ever stop being a pain in everybody's ass? I don't even understand, I cannot comprehend why anyone would use this filthy software.

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
          Let's cut it off...
          Let's do it! Why would you want a third arm that itches and hurts if you have two perfectly normal hands?

Comment

But this is a third arm made by Lenny P!

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              Wait early days? Did PulseAudio ever stop being a pain in everybody's ass? I don't even understand, I cannot comprehend why anyone would use this filthy software.
              Pulse hasn't caused issues for me for a very long time. The only place I see (a small group of) people complaining about it is in phoronix threads about it.

edit: Removing Pulse if the port doesn't work is of course understandable.
              Last edited by JonathanM; 20 August 2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
                Let's cut it off...
                This is software we're talking about. If it's causing more harm then good, we certainly have the option to remove it, fix it, and re-add it later.

Alternatively, do you keep malware on your computer, worrying that it will be difficult to put back later?

Comment

Years ago, when there was no PA, if I was watching a movie with 5.1 audio in my system, any system sound that tried to play, crashed the KDE system sound. Or any other program that tried to play a sound. The same thing with games. That's the problem that PA corrected for me. If your system did not have a 5.1 setup, you probably never missed PA. But for those of us with surround sound systems, it was a God send.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    "Running PulseAudio on DragonFlyBSD appears to cause problems for users, similar to PulseAudio in its early days on Linux"

Pulse has been working perfectly fine for me for a number of years, even (*gasp*) made a number of use cases significantly easier.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                    X