No announcement yet.

FreeBSD Catching Up To Linux DRM Graphics Drivers, In Sync With Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if Intel DRM driver was GPL licensed, one could argue that FreeBSD kernel isn't derivative work of it and thus doesn't trigger the license just like Canonical argues that ZFS isn't a derivative work of Linux kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
      most of the drm code is dual licensed
      Rob, I don't remember seeing any dual-licensed code in the drm* files - or are you talking about "everthing in the drm folder including the drivers" ?

My recollection was that the drm files were mostly X11 licensed (the older version that specifically disclaimed responsibility for Precision Insight ) with a couple of GPL-licensed files that I can't seem to find at the moment.
      Last edited by bridgman; 16 August 2016, 08:27 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Inopia View Post
        Even if Intel DRM driver was GPL licensed, one could argue that FreeBSD kernel isn't derivative work of it and thus doesn't trigger the license just like Canonical argues that ZFS isn't a derivative work of Linux kernel.
        Part of the goal of the BSDs is to release a system that people can modify without having to worry about legal issues on, using a dodgy legal loophole runs counter to that goal.

Comment

I would like to know how stable and fast the drivers are. Besides that is there any current application? My understanding is that most proprietary games will not run on the opensource freebsd kernel (in contrast to the PS4 freebsd fork). Not tolling here, I use freebsd at work and at home for "server / network stuff".

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
            I would like to know how stable and fast the drivers are. Besides that is there any current application? My understanding is that most proprietary games will not run on the opensource freebsd kernel (in contrast to the PS4 freebsd fork). Not tolling here, I use freebsd at work and at home for "server / network stuff".
            Well you can use FreeBSD as a gaming platform about as well as you could use Linux as one before Steam, there has been work to get Steam For Linux to run on FreeBSD https://github.com/SteamOnFreeBSD/SteamOnFreeBSD but... lack of FMOD support means that you can't get sound in games that use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
              The main advantage I can see (for me, anyhow) is that I no longer need a Nvidia graphics card on systems with the latest generation Intel cpus. For me, Intel's integrated graphics are far more powerful than I need, but to run FreeBSD on my desktop, I either needed to use an older CPU architecture whose integrated graphics had FreeBSD drivers, or else I had to buy a separate expensive GPU from Nvidia just to get the system to work.

I don't think gaming on FreeBSD has ever been much of a thing (excluding the proprietary PS4 and NextStep/MacOS forks, obviously).

Comment

Originally posted by 137ben View Post

The main advantage I can see (for me, anyhow) is that I no longer need a Nvidia graphics card on systems with the latest generation Intel cpus. For me, Intel's integrated graphics are far more powerful than I need, but to run FreeBSD on my desktop, I either needed to use an older CPU architecture whose integrated graphics had FreeBSD drivers, or else I had to buy a separate expensive GPU from Nvidia just to get the system to work.

I don't think gaming on FreeBSD has ever been much of a thing (excluding the proprietary PS4 and NextStep/MacOS forks, obviously).
                That's only true if you consider gaming on Linux to not have ever been much of a thing until Steam showed up...

Comment

Way to go FreeBSD !! Great news. Although this obviously helps the BSD's, I like the fact of how this kind of progress ping pongs back and forth between both the Linux and the FreeBSD camps. As they say, "Iron sharpens iron".

Comment

Does this now open the door for wayland on FreeBSD?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Part of the goal of the BSDs is to release a system that people can modify without having to worry about legal issues on, using a dodgy legal loophole runs counter to that goal.
                      Too bad you didn't mention their main goal: be corporate slaves who support closed source and proprietary software. If MS or Apple takes their code they're dying from happiness. When BSD takes Solaris code it's good, but when Open Source system like Linux takes their code they're behaving like madmen. Bunch of hypocrites.

Comment

Working...
                      X