No announcement yet.

MidnightBSD 0.8 Switches From GCC 4.2 To Clang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, there are no BSD's whatsoever using GCC5+?

Yes or no.

That, simply, was all I was after. The rest of your first post was anecdotal and hyperbole. You have a differance of opinion and they have a differant compiler they would rather use.

So I started poking around and 4.7 does seem to be the last default GCC compiler used on the common desktop BSD's. I was going to ask the why of it, but got the gist of ot anyway when performing said pokes.
    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
      So, there are no BSD's whatsoever using GCC5+?
      There is. DragonFlyBSD 4.4 was using GCC 5.2, no clue as to which GCC version the most recent version DFBSD 4.6 is using.

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
      Because they are idiots. That is the great power of GPLv3 not only is it a better license than GPLv2, it also scares idiots and douchebags. Apple being the douchebags, and the BSDs being idiots, because whether it is GPLv2 or GPLv3 has absolutely no consequence to them what so ever.
      So are you, if all you can conclude is "because they are idiots". Deeper thoughts please..

Causes in my eyes, in a row of importance
      a) Philosophical, strong fundamental difference in beliefs

b) might be to do with corporate sponsors not wanting to deal with GPL at all. Whatever you think of BSD license downsides, it's one thing that is not likely to bring lawsuit on you. Richer you are, more you have to consider it.

c) GCC is a big piece of software, not truly compliant with ISO C standards (unless being forced specifically) and distro/OS level code modifications might get manpower-intensive (if you want to see amount of modifications necessary to "port" software made for "Linux in general", check out the AMOUNT of patching that had to be done, in order to get around of unintentional or intentional "linuxisms" in ported code). Sometimes it's astonishing. More reasonable would be to go with something that is not creating it's own standards, has more acceptable license and is smaller in size.

d) Clang offers some technical advantages over GCC.

Found good article from a pro-GPL guy who tries to not take sides..

Comment

Working...
      X