Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MidnightBSD 0.8 Switches From GCC 4.2 To Clang

Phoronix: MidnightBSD 0.8 Switches From GCC 4.2 To Clang

For those of you unfamiliar with it, MidnightBSD is a BSD (obviously) that focuses upon being a good desktop OS, similar to the goals of GhostBSD or PC-BSD. MidnightBSD 0.8 was released this week as the newest version of the operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

lol, you have little choice after switching from gcc 6 to gcc 4.2

Comment

I think BSD's tend to use 4.2 because that was the last version to be licensed under GPLv2. All later releases are licensed under GPLv3 afaik. (with the runtime lib exception, ofc)

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
        I think BSD's tend to use 4.2 because that was the last version to be licensed under GPLv2. All later releases are licensed under GPLv3 afaik. (with the runtime lib exception, ofc)
        I was wondering why it took so long for my distro to upgrade(besides the bugs) why did they move to GPLv3?

Comment

Because of tivoization

Comment

"We want a BSD that a grandmother could install and use."

I haven't tried MidnightBSD since 0.6, but I know that my parents would turn away from it, let alone my grandparents. Right now this is one of those projects like DesktopBSD that I occasionally check on to see if they're still alive. But best of luck to them.

Comment

So, there are no BSD's whatsoever using GCC5+?
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                So, there are no BSD's whatsoever using GCC5+?
                Because they are idiots. That is the great power of GPLv3 not only is it a better license than GPLv2, it also scares idiots and douchebags. Apple being the douchebags, and the BSDs being idiots, because whether it is GPLv2 or GPLv3 has absolutely no consequence to them what so ever.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Because they are idiots. That is the great power of GPLv3 not only is it a better license than GPLv2, it also scares idiots and douchebags. Apple being the douchebags, and the BSDs being idiots, because whether it is GPLv2 or GPLv3 has absolutely no consequence to them what so ever.
                  Why does everyone here misconstrue my questions. I asked IS THERE, not what's your take. Not that I dont value your input, unjustified as it is, but I was wondering if any distro's existed that use a GCC5+ version. I obviously know that's it's a trend, but all of them?
                  Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

Why does everyone here misconstrue my questions. I asked IS THERE, not what's your take. Not that I dont value your input, unjustified as it is, but I was wondering if any distro's existed that use a GCC5+ version. I obviously know that's it's a trend, but all of them?
                    It wasn't my take. I answered your question with facts. There is no reason a BSD can not use a modern gcc. They don't due to politics and because clang is good enough and politically a better fit. You can build and install gcc on all of them, Gcc still supports them, and users that need to still do.

Comment

Working...
                    X