No announcement yet.

Early Benchmarks Of FreeBSD 11.0 vs. DragonFlyBSD 4.6 vs. Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Benchmarks Of FreeBSD 11.0 vs. DragonFlyBSD 4.6 vs. Linux Distributions

Phoronix: Early Benchmarks Of FreeBSD 11.0 vs. DragonFlyBSD 4.6 vs. Linux Distributions

Following last week's DragonFlyBSD 4.6 benchmarks I carried out a fresh comparison of FreeBSD 10.3 vs. FreeBSD 11.0 (Beta 4 at the time) along with the DragonFlyBSD results and a few of the popular Linux distributions. Here are those numbers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really cool benchmark, I always like to see some Linux alternatives. If you find some spare time or interest, try out NetBSD on the next benchmark.

Comment

Not terribly surprising actually. Where BSD's excel are those benchmarks that deal with web server apps like Apache, PHP and SQL. This is BSD's strength in the real world. Workstation and media benchmarks are where the Linux's excel.

Of course....one has to wonder....if the BSD's are indeed more stable over time than the typical Linux's, would any speed increase a Linux distro might have matter if something crashes and your speed is exactly zero? Then again....if you can't find an app you need on BSD but you can on Linux then also what's the point in a little bit extra stability ? Obviously FreeBSD has a great Portage system and I can hardly NOT find something for FreeBSD that is already on Linux. But there are gaps and sometimes compiling a Linux app to FreeBSD is a pain in the ass. Your mileage may vary of course.

All in all.....you pick your tool for the job at hand. And what's great is we have in both the BSD's and Linux's a plethora of Free and Open Source tools to choose for the right job. And they're getting better every single release.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        Of course....one has to wonder....if the BSD's are indeed more stable over time than the typical Linux's,
        are they?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
          Not terribly surprising actually. Where BSD's excel are those benchmarks that deal with web server apps like Apache, PHP and SQL. This is BSD's strength in the real world. Workstation and media benchmarks are where the Linux's excel.
          Except the Apache benchmark isn't done properly and PHP one is meaningless when comes to web server performance. When comes to SQLite XFS or Ext 3 should perform much better. LAMP (no BAMP) is de facto standard from some reason. Do you compile PHP every time you deal with peers? I bet longer compile time usually means better performance. When comes to web server performance there's no doubt Linux is better:

Rank Performance Graph OS Outagehh:mm:ss FailedReq% DNS Connect Firstbyte Total 1 XILO Communications Ltd. Linux 0:00:00 0.008 0.206 0.065 0.131 0.131 2 Hyv ...

Rank Performance Graph OS Outagehh:mm:ss FailedReq% DNS Connect Firstbyte Total 1 Pair Networks FreeBSD 0:00:00 0.004 0.231 0.067 0.137 0.137 2 Netcetera Li ...

Rank Performance Graph OS Outagehh:mm:ss FailedReq% DNS Connect Firstbyte Total 1 Datapipe Linux 0:00:00 0.004 0.142 0.012 0.024 0.030 2 XILO Communications ...

Linux powers most demanding sites like google, youtube, facebook. If you have some evidence freebsd is better in this area I'm dying to see it. In recent years no single bsd fanboy was able to show it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            If you have some evidence freebsd is better in this area I'm dying to see it. In recent years no single bsd fanboy was able to show it.
            Netflix is powered by FreeBSD. Anyway, you're the only one who sounds like a fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

Netflix is powered by FreeBSD.
              And Google and YouTube are powered by Linux.

Comment

Thank you, but please include OpenBSD and NetBSD in your next benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

Netflix is powered by FreeBSD.
                  Is it still? All their web-based stuff has been moved to AWS and the actual videos to their new Open Connect infrastructure. I don't know what that one runs on.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Except the Apache benchmark isn't done properly and PHP one is meaningless when comes to web server performance. When comes to SQLite XFS or Ext 3 should perform much better. LAMP (no BAMP) is de facto standard from some reason. Do you compile PHP every time you deal with peers? I bet longer compile time usually means better performance. When comes to web server performance there's no doubt Linux is better:

Rank Performance Graph OS Outagehh:mm:ss FailedReq% DNS Connect Firstbyte Total 1 XILO Communications Ltd. Linux 0:00:00 0.008 0.206 0.065 0.131 0.131 2 Hyv ...

Rank Performance Graph OS Outagehh:mm:ss FailedReq% DNS Connect Firstbyte Total 1 Pair Networks FreeBSD 0:00:00 0.004 0.231 0.067 0.137 0.137 2 Netcetera Li ...

Rank Performance Graph OS Outagehh:mm:ss FailedReq% DNS Connect Firstbyte Total 1 Datapipe Linux 0:00:00 0.004 0.142 0.012 0.024 0.030 2 XILO Communications ...

Linux powers most demanding sites like google, youtube, facebook. If you have some evidence freebsd is better in this area I'm dying to see it. In recent years no single bsd fanboy was able to show it.
                    **ahem**

Please reread my post junior. S L O W L Y. I said IF indeed the BSD are more stable......meaning I AM not entirely sure. I run FreeBSD server at my house and I have managed one at a job a while ago. The most stable OS I've managed so far albeit I have not managed a Linux server....only bleeding edge Linux Distos for personal use. Which sometimes crash.....but I knew this possibility going in so I'm not about to judge BSD against that.

As I stated towards the end....I am glad to see these tests by Michael because it is just a little more proof that the FOSS world has GREAT options in both BSD and Linux. But YOU....the individual should pick the RIGHT tool for the RIGHT job.

So....Linux fan boy......and I accentuate the word boy, take a remedial course in reading comprehension before you spout off about my supposed BSD fan boy-ism.

Comment

Working...
                    X