No announcement yet.

Early Benchmarks Of FreeBSD 11.0 vs. DragonFlyBSD 4.6 vs. Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix and WhatsApp still use FreeBSD. The company I work for uses it in our embedded products for industral lift trucks.

As for stability/reliablity, this is all relative and depends on use case. For what we use it for, its worked out quite well.

Comment

Clang 3.8 introduced a performance regression in Himeno. That would explain FreeBSD 11.0's poor performance vs 10.0 and DragonFlyBSD.

Michael,
      Do you report these regressions?
      I'm never tried a compiler benchmark with PST. I tried setting the flag CC=clang but got the same results as without it. Is this how you use PST? Is there a log file that will show which compiler is being used?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        I run FreeBSD server at my house and I have managed one at a job a while ago. The most stable OS I've managed so far albeit I have not managed a Linux server....only bleeding edge Linux Distos for personal use.
        From my experience: I reboot Linux workstation once every few weeks and Linux servers once every few years (when a security issue requires it).

So in my opinion the kernel is fully stable but DEs and/or apps far less.

Comment

FreeBSD and DFBSD are using ZFS and HAMMER. Wouldn't it make sense to compare with a btrfs Linux? Here there is only ext4 and xfs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

**ahem**

Please reread my post junior. S L O W L Y. I said IF indeed the BSD are more stable......meaning I AM not entirely sure. I run FreeBSD server at my house and I have managed one at a job a while ago. The most stable OS I've managed so far albeit I have not managed a Linux server....only bleeding edge Linux Distos for personal use. Which sometimes crash.....but I knew this possibility going in so I'm not about to judge BSD against that.
            It seems you don't even know what you said. You were basing on PHP compile time benchmark (meaningless when comes to network performance), Apache one (done improperly) and SQLite (not MySQL and only Ext4 was tested). I told you those aren't evidences, because of obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

Netflix is powered by FreeBSD. Anyway, you're the only one who sounds like a fanboy.
              You're always giving netflix as an example. Isn't this because it's an only one? Btw. they said they're using freebsd, because they're familar with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

You're always giving netflix as an example. Isn't this because it's an only one? Btw. they said they're using freebsd, because they're familar with it.
                Netlix also handles bunch of the world's Internet traffic and seems to manage.. be the reason familiarity or not, it gets the job done. Which you are trying consistently disprove of, be it by "arguments", personal insults or pure ranting.

Might as well claim that rest of the world is using Linux mostly because they are more "familiar with it", would be as much correct.

IF non-Linux OS'es affect your blood pressure that bad, I recommend staying in Linux threads. Might increase life longevity.

Comment

Working...
                X