UbuntuBSD 16.04 Beta Pairs Ubuntu Xenial With FreeBSD 10.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    It seems the edit button is missing and there's some stupid facebook like 'like':
    Micheael said edit button is removed because spambots were using our same trick to avoid vBullettin anti-spam filters (because vBullettin is crap and does not seem to filter also edited posts, thanks Obama).
    Premium members still have the edit enabled because premium ensures they aren't bots.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
      Oh yeah, because systemd is developed for Linux because of religion and they hate other operating systems. Great insight there, one can really tell that you are an expert on this topic.
      Systemd is made to work with Linux only because it uses kernel interfaces available only in Linux kernel. And that is choice of its developers. It really IS very very difficult to port to other kernels. No systemd for any non-Linux kernels, not for GNU Hurd, or any of the BSDs

Comment

Tried UbuntuBSD. Installation medium crashed in POST, right after SMP initialization.. (Xeon W3690). No issues booting "normal" FreeBSD, feels like some screwup in installmedia kernel..

mr.Pawlerson. You are plain simple troll. You are over-the-forum-famous trolling your bias. I can't even understand what are you searching from this sub-forum. Who is using non-Linux OSes are going to continue using them, regardless how many poisonous remarks you are going to drop.

Btw, if BSD crowd would care about their OS'es "popularity", they would put effort into marketing. As it is (no fancy graphical installer and dumbed down GUI's), it's keeping AWAY people who do not share common philosophy nor appreciate it. Like you. OpenBSD devs are the most extreme, giving no f**k about popularity, they are literally developing for themselves and their own use. At the same time they have contributed tons of software that your "oh-so-superior-Linux" users use often daily without being aware of it's origin.. have some courtesy, prick.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          mr.Pawlerson. You are plain simple troll. You are over-the-forum-famous trolling your bias. I can't even understand what are you searching from this sub-forum. Who is using non-Linux OSes are going to continue using them, regardless how many poisonous remarks you are going to drop.
          No offence but he usually reacts to others posting bs on BSD. Me to would like to get decent proof of the usual mantra of "Unix has better networking" or whatever, because it might have been true in an unspecified past but what about now?.

Btw, if BSD crowd would care about their OS'es "popularity", they would put effort into marketing. As it is (no fancy graphical installer and dumbed down GUI's), it's keeping AWAY people who do not share common philosophy nor appreciate it.
          I'd say they do like that because they SERIOUSLY lack manpower and what there is is mostly focused on server-oriented features.

Like you. OpenBSD devs are the most extreme, giving no f**k about popularity, they are literally developing for themselves and their own use. At the same time they have contributed tons of software that your "oh-so-superior-Linux" users use often daily without being aware of it's origin.. have some courtesy, prick.
          That's what happens with permissive licenses. Your stuff is everyone's bitch, and you get forgotten too. Let that sink in and quit ranting as it's normal, and what they wanted.

Still, I'm not seeing a ton of BSD stuff in Linux now. There are tons of permissive-licensed programs yes, but that's not stuff from BSD.

Comment

OpenSSH, M4, dhcpd, dhclient, openntpd, hostapd, sdiff.. there is a long list on OpenBSD's website.

Comment

Prove me wrong. Netcraft don't lie, Debian usage statistic don't lie either. I don't care if you use some crappy OS, but I do care when you spread lies.

Comment

OpenSSH, M4, dhcpd, dhclient, openntpd, hostapd, sdiff.. there is a long list on OpenBSD's website.
                I wouldn't be so proud of OpenSSH although that's right, never even heard of m4 as I use mostly grep/awk or a whole different language that can do it on its own (like say Perl), dhcpd/dhclient come from Internet Systems Consortium, openntpd is just a ntp daemon like say ntpd used on linux, and hostapd is again another thing that comes from independent sources.

I said stuff actually coming from *BSD distros, not just stuff with permissive licenses. I mean, having a permissive license does not make it a program that runs on *BSD.

Comment

well, they are listed at OpenBSD site, under "Innovations". Perhaps authors were at the time OpenBSD devs or affiliated with the OS, I have sadly no explicit interest or time for checking it

Comment

well, they are listed at OpenBSD site, under "Innovations". Perhaps authors were at the time OpenBSD devs or affiliated with the OS, I have sadly no explicit interest or time for checking it
                    Well, you probably should as there is something wrong, I don't think they are so blatant liars, I think that list isn't what you think it is.
                    Maybe a "we ported this stuff in OpenBSD" list called in a weird way or something.

Let's look at hostapd, they say:
                    "Written and maintained by Reyk Floeter. Imported May 26, 2005 and first released with OpenBSD 3.8. "

Uhm.... If I do a google search I get this that is the official site http://w1.fi/hostapd/ with mailing lists and all, where it says:
                    "Copyright (c) 2002-2015, Jouni Malinen <[email protected]> and contributors. "

And if I install hostapd in OpenSUSE in its manpage it's stated again that Jouni Malinen is the original author.

Comment

It's a possibility. Thanks for bothering digging into it.. No time, fresh family (5m old boy) does not allow me much computer time.

Comment

Working...
                      X