Ubuntu's Unity Desktop Can Now Run Natively On Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxie View Post

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective.

* Microsoft has lost developer mindshare to OS X
    * Microsoft want to be "cool and hip" again
    * Microsoft now has a compat layer that lets you run your prod software with an "apt-get install" (if it's not in the debian world, it's probably not something a windows user will install)
    * Apt is still more complete than any of the OS X repo projects (homebrew etc)
    * Canonical want more market share, if the first taste of linux a windows user has in Ubuntu, then they are likely to stick with it (the same reason why students get cheap Apple stuff).

Getting Linux running on Windows is not for Linux users. It's for Windows users, and that my friend is the game that is being played.

Canonical is being rather smart here - why fight for a percentage share of 2% of the desktop market, when you can take the cream off the top of the 90%
    A while ago a similar situation happened with web developers and now most of them use linux. I think my perspective is spot on. Who cares what MS wants? It certainly isn't those people that are leaving it in droves. Canonical should be concentrating on attracting those users to linux, not on alienating the current userbase. The only thing they are going to ensure is that their share of that 2% is going to shrink even more.
    Last edited by duby229; 10 July 2016, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      You are looking at it from the wrong perspective.

* Microsoft has lost developer mindshare to OS X
      * Microsoft want to be "cool and hip" again
      * Microsoft now has a compat layer that lets you run your prod software with an "apt-get install" (if it's not in the debian world, it's probably not something a windows user will install)
      * Apt is still more complete than any of the OS X repo projects (homebrew etc)
      * Canonical want more market share, if the first taste of linux a windows user has in Ubuntu, then they are likely to stick with it (the same reason why students get cheap Apple stuff).

Getting Linux running on Windows is not for Linux users. It's for Windows users, and that my friend is the game that is being played.

Canonical is being rather smart here - why fight for a percentage share of 2% of the desktop market, when you can take the cream off the top of the 90%
      This is PROOF that Canonical is sockpuppet of MS. Too much coordination in features, too much money sunk in turd project.

I'm eagerly waiting the time MS will "buy" Canonical and adopt Ubuntu as their new Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Point is that Unity lost most of its user share when they decided to not give it a traditional desktop look, it's not a matter of hating.

You don't need to try it, it does not work like a desktop, if you want a desktop, you go xfce, MATE or KDE.

Unity is on Gentoo and Arch
        No I use Unity because I like it! I would even prefer gnome shell to any of your mentioned desktops. Unity is also on Suse if I remember correctly. I tried Fedora with Gnome some days ago but it didn't even recognize my Win10.- Hence even if I start to dislike Ubuntu, it's still better than any other distro.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
          No I use Unity because I like it!
          Now please explain what this adds to what I said. I said that most of those that hate Unity want a desktop UI.

I would even prefer gnome shell to any of your mentioned desktops.
          Cool, you don't like traditional desktop UIs, confirmed. Nothing wrong in that. You are further proof to my point that only people that don't like traditional desktop will use unity.

Unity is also on Suse if I remember correctly.
          No, it was there only for a single openSUSE release. 12.2 I think. It was supposed to be ported on Fedora and others too, but then no more info.

I tried Fedora with Gnome some days ago but it didn't even recognize my Win10.- Hence even if I start to dislike Ubuntu, it's still better than any other distro.
          Tries ONE other distro.
          It has issues.
          Concludes Ubuntu is better than any other distro.

gg man.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 10 July 2016, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Maybe it's just my opinion then. It sounds so F-ing dumb though to my mind. Why limit yourself to a platform choice that the majority of your target audience can't stand using?
            I thought Linux was the land of choice. Not the land of choice you or I may approve of
            It's their money, they can do whatever they want with it. I'm a KDE guy, I don't like Unity, but I don't have a problem with its existence either.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              This is PROOF that Canonical is sockpuppet of MS. Too much coordination in features, too much money sunk in turd project.

I'm eagerly waiting the time MS will "buy" Canonical and adopt Ubuntu as their new Windows.
              What the hell does this ticket have to do with Canonical apart from it being noticed and pointed out by a canonical employee? Will you be saying the same thing next week when we hear about gnome running in wsl?

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
                What the hell does this ticket have to do with Canonical apart from it being noticed and pointed out by a canonical employee?
                It's all a conspiracy, open your eyes. They did it like that to not arouse suspicion. That developer is in fact on MS's payroll and the Canonical employee "noticed" it at just the right time.

(don't worry, I'm just kidding)

Comment

This is actually really awesome. With this, not only can we take advantage of the full extent of hardware device drivers available for Windows, we can also run a Linux session from within Windows.

Very tempted to move back to Windows 10 pronto. I'm officially sick and tired of having to deal with buggy nouveau drivers on my notebook with an onboard Intel GPU and an Nvidia 940m GPU.

Comment

I've a integrated Intel as well in my desktop but never bothered. Only installed Nvidia and never had any problems.- Anyway if for ex. doom3bfg Linux version etc. works in Unity on Win10 I'll have a look at just for fun. I would be much more interested to run osx and win apps with accelerated 3D on ubuntu like for ex. X-Plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                      This is actually really awesome. With this, not only can we take advantage of the full extent of hardware device drivers available for Windows, we can also run a Linux session from within Windows.

Very tempted to move back to Windows 10 pronto. I'm officially sick and tired of having to deal with buggy nouveau drivers on my notebook with an onboard Intel GPU and an Nvidia 940m GPU.
                      Why are you required to use Nouveau?

The 940M is supported by the latest Nvidia driver.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...x/104284/en-us
                      Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 10 July 2016, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X