Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Unity Desktop Can Now Run Natively On Windows

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Unity Desktop Can Now Run Natively On Windows

It's possible to run the Unity desktop with Compiz window manager atop Windows 10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is sad, how come Unity can run on windows already but not on other Linux distros?

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
      This is sad, how come Unity can run on windows already but not on other Linux distros?
      hahahahahahah! That's so funny. It proves something important doesnt it?

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
        Lack of porting interest and capability? There's also more going on in Unity than a window manager. Scopes, Lenses and all that needs to move over, as well. There was (is?) an effort by some Arch people.

I wonder if Windows apps will run inside Unity on that setup?

Comment

Originally posted by buzzrobot View Post
          I wonder if Windows apps will run inside Unity on that setup?
          Doubtful. It's running inside a VcXsrv X11 window and I haven't heard of any WSL feature to forward Windows application GUIs into an X11 session.

Comment

I was under the impression that honorable esteemed Linux community hates Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxforall View Post
              I was under the impression that honorable esteemed Linux community hates Unity.
              It's not about Unity though, It's about Canonical. Have you tried to package Unity? It really isn't possible and they built it that way on purpose. Personally I'm certain Unity would have a bigger share if it didn't lock you into Ubuntu and in the future possibly windows. Canonical can't get more stupid then that. It seems they are intentionally trying to alienate linux users.
              Last edited by duby229; 10 July 2016, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Canonical can't get more stupid then that.
                87.5% of an iceberg is under water...

Comment

Originally posted by aschmidtm View Post

87.5% of an iceberg is under water...
                  Tell that to Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Cinnamon, etc, etc, etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

It's not about Unity though, It's about Canonical. Have you tried to package Unity? It really isn't possible and they built it that way on purpose. Personally I'm certain Unity would have a bigger share if it didn't lock you into Ubuntu and in the future possibly windows. Canonical can't get more stupid then that. It seems they are intentionally trying to alienate linux users.
                    Well if few more Linux users get off the Wayland ship and join Unity, who knows what future holds, right now majority of so called Linux users will say blindly, I hate Canonical, I hate Unity and most have not even tried it. Of course its bloated spyware, thats the given norm. Anyways Canonical survives and those who need it use it like many big and small. Rest have choice to reject it, beauty of Linux world.

Btw there is a Unity for Arch project, dunno how far its gone, I use Gnome on Arch.
                    Last edited by linuxforall; 10 July 2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X