Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 11.0 Reaches Beta

Phoronix: FreeBSD 11.0 Reaches Beta

BSD fans looking to do some testing this weekend can try out the beta of the upcoming FreeBSD 11.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will there be a Linux vs FreeBSD comparison when 11 is released? It might also be interesting to see some other open source distributions too - NetBSD? Illumos/OpenIndiana?

Comment

Originally posted by strtj View Post
      Will there be a Linux vs FreeBSD comparison when 11 is released? It might also be interesting to see some other open source distributions too - NetBSD? Illumos/OpenIndiana?
      If the support is better by then... Last time I tried a few months ago, the FreeBSD compatibility layer was running into more problems compared to when I last tested it years ago.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

last time i tried sound card support better then linux at least my sound card is not supported at linux but freebsd has better intel hd audio implementation
        r9 290 and bcm4360 aren't supported so i can not use anymore

Comment

Originally posted by strtj View Post
          I'd be happy to see a showdown of all the BSD distros, alongside some Linux ones.
          FreeBSD
          NetBSD
          OpenBSD
          Debian-kFreeBSD
          Dragonfly BSD
          PCBSD
          MidnightBSD
          GhostBSD
          Debian Stable
          Debian Testing
          Fedora
          Although, getting software to run on all of them may be a lot of work.

Originally posted by Michael
          If the support is better by then... Last time I tried a few months ago, the FreeBSD compatibility layer was running into more problems compared to when I last tested it years ago.
          It seems to work well enough for me, though I am only using a small handful of software that isn't already targeted at FreeBSD, so I'm probably not a good judge as to how robust the compatibility layer is.

Comment

Originally posted by 137ben View Post
            It seems to work well enough for me, though I am only using a small handful of software that isn't already targeted at FreeBSD, so I'm probably not a good judge as to how robust the compatibility layer is.
            The problem children are basically Steam and it's games, which with xmj having stopped working on it means it probably won't get fixed anytime soon unless there's some crossover with the OFED driver that is being expanded into linux-kpi to bring updated graphics support. I have no idea but I'm figuring not.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

The problem children are basically Steam and it's games, which with xmj having stopped working on it means it probably won't get fixed anytime soon unless there's some crossover with the OFED driver that is being expanded into linux-kpi to bring updated graphics support. I have no idea but I'm figuring not.
              Thank you for the explanation. That explains why I haven't noticed the issues (I don't use Steam.)

Comment

Tried it and it worked well. Only reason I am not using it as a daily, is the lack of GTX1080 drivers. Now if I could get my hands on betas....... :-)

Comment

Working...
                X