Originally posted by nasyt View Post
    Both Windows and Solaris SUCK!!!!!
    fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      fixed.
      You Linux trolls are really terrible!

Oh, i have a joke:
      Do you know why the only internet equipment Linux is used on are Servers and Home routers but not the core routers and root DNS servers?

Yeah, then only one person could download at full DSL speed. If many do this the speed drops to 56 kbits.

Comment

Hey, watch it. I didn't say BSD sucks.
        I'm not a linux troll. I just point out bullshit and when people are trolling for no reason.
        You BSD trolls are really terrible!
        fixed.

Do you know why the only internet equipment Linux is used on are Servers and Home routers but not the core routers and root DNS servers?
        Yes! (raising hand) Choose me!

Because they are proprietary systems with a proprietary OS/firmware which is usually based off Unix but not always (it's not really required anyway as they try hard to do most of the work at layer 2, 3 at most).
        Using Linux would force them to reveal too much of their "secret sauce" to the external world due to GPL license.

Note that "external world" also includes other Unix systems so they don't get better because osmosis or something, and let's also not ignore that these devices have large amount of silicon dedicated to HARDWARE acceleration of whatever stuff they are supposed to do, because yeah, bigass company-grade routers should do that. And ASIC always beats CPU unless someone in the desing team is a moron.

Let's also note that root DNS don't actually serve a so terribly huge amount of requests themselves because there is a long cascade of secondary and tertiary DNS servers all over the place, the root DNS mostly have a list of all other high-level DNS around.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Using Linux would force them to reveal too much of their "secret sauce" to the external world due to GPL license.
          Except they stuff their "secret sauce" into the userspace. Tivo did this with their proprietary filesystem.

Comment

Except they stuff their "secret sauce" into the userspace. Tivo did this with their proprietary filesystem.
            Except you are an idiot and cannot comprehend that running networking as any latency-sensitive application outside the kernel is beyond stupid.

network stack of networking hardware != filesystem of a media player

On serious networking hardware they take pains to keep as much as possible at level 2 of the osi model https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_mo...ata_Link_Layer and the current top-dogs implement many level 3 features in hardware too http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/p...evolution.html , so most of the traffic isn't even handled by the firmware/kernel/userspace/fairies, but by onboard microcontrollers that live in hard realtime and do only ONE thing at speeds and with reaction times that any OS cannot match, whose settings are changed by the overseeing firmware every now and then, if needed.

Comment

Working...
            X