Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 11.0 Alpha 4 Released

Phoronix: FreeBSD 11.0 Alpha 4 Released

The fourth alpha release of the upcoming FreeBSD 11.0 is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

@Phoronix

Why don't you benchmark bsd open source graphic stack?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      @Phoronix

Why don't you benchmark bsd open source graphic stack?
      Why do you limit it to open source?

Comment

@PhoronixWhy don't you benchmark bsd open source graphic stack?
        Probably because it's embarassing.

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
        Why do you limit it to open source?
        Probably because Nvidia blob works exactly the same everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Probably because it's embarassing.
          For whom?

Probably because Nvidia blob works exactly the same everywhere.
          How do you know, if you do no benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
            For whom?
            For them. Consider that their opensource drivers are ports from Linux's ones, and they lag behind quite a bit.

How do you know, if you do no benchmarks?
            Because NVIDIA driver is the same everywhere, performance will be the same driver-side.

Comment

For them. Consider that their opensource drivers are ports from Linux's ones, and they lag behind quite a bit.

Because NVIDIA driver is the same everywhere, performance will be the same driver-side.
              Exactly. Binary blobs aren't interesting to me in this case. They should perform the same. I want to see how bsd implementation of the Open Source graphic stack compares to Linux.

Comment

Exactly. Binary blobs aren't interesting to me in this case. They should perform the same. I want to see how bsd implementation of the Open Source graphic stack compares to Linux.
                As I said, it's probably going to be around "total crap", as they are living off old backported drivers.

Once they make wrappers like these http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-DRM-KMS-Layer things will finally get benchmark-worthy.

Comment

As I said, it's probably going to be around "total crap", as they are living off old backported drivers.
                  I know, but Michael used to troll a lot against Linux in the past when its drivers were far from perfect. That's why I wonder why he's so big-hearted when comes to bsd?

Comment

I know, but Michael used to troll a lot against Linux in the past when its drivers were far from perfect. That's why I wonder why he's so big-hearted when comes to bsd?
                    He's not being big hearted, your anti-BSD worldview is simply coloring intention into his not benchmarking BSD's graphics. Michael basically only benchmarks the BSDs at all when they do a release, and even then only usually FreeBSD. Besides outside of people like you who intend to use it to troll the BSDs the situation for FreeBSD just really isn't that interesting right now on the open source side, as we know that Radeon is going to perform like crap due to lacking dynamic power management and with Intel he can currently only benchmark up to Ivy Bridge (although the situation is likely to change quite a bit with the release of FreeBSD 11, particularly if linuxkpi makes it in). So as a result the real answer is that it simply isn't worth his time.

Comment

Working...
                    X