DragonFlyBSD's Intel DRM/KMS Driver Now On Par With Linux 4.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaidenshi View Post
    Since when? I run OpenBSD on a laptop with all of the above, fully supported, and OpenBSD is usually the last BSD to get support for a particular type of hardware. OpenBSD has great wireless support, SATA has worked for over a decade, and it got USB 3.0 support nearly two years ago:

http://www.osnews.com/story/28058/Op...B_3_0_support/

OpenBSD in particular has performance issues related to scheduling and SMP, so it's not the best choice for a daily driver workstation (unless you're a developer dogfooding for the project), but it's great for embedded and server projects, as well as netbooks that are going to be slow no matter what OS you run. It's not lacking in hardware support as long as the hardware in question has open source drivers. FreeBSD is even better for hardware support, and NetBSD can run on pretty much anything with a CPU.
    Dunno, I've quite a bit of experience with FreeNAS (FreeBSD), and it is pretty shit in the hardware support department. Anything not Intel tends to not work terribly well, and things like USB 3.0 were "supported" only on paper (not reliable).

So you say NetBSD is the best huh? Will try it out then. Ty for the tip.

Comment

At least NetBSD has Nouveau. USB 3.0 is wip.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        So you say NetBSD is the best huh? Will try it out then. Ty for the tip.
        I didn't say that, just that it runs on nearly anything. Back in the day I had it running on a Sega Dreamcast. Like OpenBSD, it's great for minimalist projects and embedded stuff, and NetBSD seems to have better hardware support than OpenBSD most of the time. Like all the BSDs though, raw performance isn't as good as Linux, so take that into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by beast View Post
          At least NetBSD has Nouveau. USB 3.0 is wip.

OpenBSD will likely never support Nvidia cards, because of their philosophical stance towards closed hardware and firmware. It's the same reason they refuse to support the Raspberry Pi.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Better than what?
            Better than OpenBSD (most of the time). FreeBSD is more willing to deal with closed hardware than OpenBSD, it's a philosophical and sometimes technical stance. That said, I've had some hardware that wouldn't boot with FreeBSD but worked great under OpenBSD. As with anything in this arena, YMMV.

Comment

Working...
            X