ReactOS 0.4.1 Is En Route For Open-Source Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    IMO, Linux is a better platform to use Windows applications on than ReactOS:

http://s32.postimg.org/h7ig9eqh1/mayscreen.png
    Yup.

You know why? Wine and ReactOS share code (that's part of the ReactOS userspace). So if it works in ReactOS it probably works in Wine already.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

By the time it reaches feature parity with XP the world will have moved so far from it that (concept of computer and most common programs) that it will be completely alien.
      Your rose tinted glasses must be so colorful!

McLaren needs a 20-year-old Compaq laptop to maintain its F1 supercar
      http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/3/11576032/mclaren-f1-compaq-laptop-maintenance
      Last edited by plonoma; 05 May 2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Yup.

You know why? Wine and ReactOS share code (that's part of the ReactOS userspace). So if it works in ReactOS it probably works in Wine already.
        True this. However i think reactos would be better if they just took the linux kernel and build windows syscalls into the kernel and build wine on top of that. I think there is already some work being done on that.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          True this. However i think reactos would be better if they just took the linux kernel and build windows syscalls into the kernel and build wine on top of that. I think there is already some work being done on that.

So Microsoft did an experiment of a Micro Kernel with a tiny surface area that put all syscalls into userspace. They were able to make changes to a few of the lower level Windows dlls to allow most of their applications to work, essentially like a library OS. They did a similar thing with Posix, and this is their tech they base their Bash On Ubuntu On Windows.

I don't think it would be that big a deal to do something similar to that with ReactOS, getting the underlying APIs ready, then creating scripts that bring in needed dlls with the install of an application.

This doesn't touch the legal aspect of it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
            These guys' effort would be so much better spent on something else...
            This guys do something really new and unique. And before someone claim that there work is useless they the should work on something different, the mess with useless gnu/linux distributions and desktop environments or stupid forks should stop first.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
              Your rose tinted glasses must be so colorful!
              McLaren needs a 20-year-old Compaq laptop to maintain its F1 supercar
              http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/3/11576032/mclaren-f1-compaq-laptop-maintenance
              ERROR: "TimeBeforeItReachesFeatureParityWithXP" not specified.

Also, those idiots at McLaren got it coming by deciding to use a laptop interface for their diagnostic cards.

It's not a matter of operating system but a matter of hardware interfaces. It is also a matter of someone being idiot at the management too, as it is just a fucking diagnostic card, they could redesign it anytime.

Comment

ERROR: "TimeBeforeItReachesFeatureParityWithXP" not specified.

Also, those idiots at McLaren got it coming by deciding to use a laptop interface for their diagnostic cards.

It's not a matter of operating system but a matter of hardware interfaces. It is also a matter of someone being idiot at the management too, as it is just a fucking diagnostic card, they could redesign it anytime.
                Businesses and managers run on profits, not how elegantly the solution is designed under the hood.
                Good luck getting bean counters to agree on spending extra resources!

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                  Businesses and managers run on profits, not how elegantly the solution is designed under the hood.
                  Good luck getting bean counters to agree on spending extra resources!
                  I call them idiots because so old consumer hardware is crappy and can fail anytime (i.e. unreliable). Taking big risks to save a 100k$ tops (probably much less) in a board redesign to use USB ports that will last for the next century or so is idiotic.

Bean counters that lack the understanding of technology usually take these kinds of stupid decisions, and I'm one of those that has to find a solution FAST when shit happens.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                    The Windows NT kernel design is in a lot of ways better than the Linux / Unix design. So if ReactOS implements it in open source that is a good thing.

Also, Windows hardware drivers need a compatible operating system and ReactOS is doing that too. It is possible to support Windows drivers in limited ways using Linux, like NDISwrapper does, but it is a huge pain.

Comment

Great stuff.

"Internet persons" (who aren't contributing anything) will moan a bit... Then they will shuffle back to watching cat videos on Youtube and creating innovative snapchat videos...

I can think of many far more useless ways to spend one's time - like the 10,000,000 repackaged versions of Ubuntu...

Comment

Working...
                      X