Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS 0.4.1 Is En Route For Open-Source Windows

Phoronix: ReactOS 0.4.1 Is En Route For Open-Source Windows

For fans of ReactOS as a project long working on providing an open-source, drop-in-replacement for Windows, a new release is being prepared...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally some really cool non GPU/nVidia/AMD piece of news.
    Those people at ReactOS are doing a great project. Well, going better than Microsoft is not that hard, though.
    Horay for ReactOS! Bravo!

Comment

OMG!!1!1!!!!

I can play Solitaire on ReactOS now??? I'm game!

Comment

Sigh. I guess that in the next 20 years they might reach feature parity with XP. Would be nice, as the hardware still running XP should be dying by then.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Sigh. I guess that in the next 20 years they might reach feature parity with XP. Would be nice, as the hardware still running XP should be dying by then.
          But for running old applications such as games and business apps in a VM, it's great!
          When hardware dies, migrating to a VM solution for replacing the dying hardware, allows us to quickly migrate applications without software development!

Comment

Congrats to the ReactOS team. Nice work. (No sarcasm intended.)

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Sigh. I guess that in the next 20 years they might reach feature parity with XP.
            It's good to see an optimist on these forums.

Comment

These guys' effort would be so much better spent on something else... by the time they're done, M$ might actually open source the NT kernel.... I tried booting it in VMWare, can't even get it to install properly, it freezes.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                But for running old applications such as games and business apps in a VM, it's great!
                When hardware dies, migrating to a VM solution for replacing the dying hardware, allows us to quickly migrate applications without software development!
                Shut up, you there. Bare metal is better!

I was sarcastic, not proposing a way to migrate older systems.
                By the time it reaches feature parity with XP the world will have moved so far from it that (concept of computer and most common programs) that it will be completely alien.

Like a resurrection of ancient windows. Look little Annie, that is a reconstruction of Windows! Like those dinosaurs in jurassic park!
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 05 May 2016, 04:21 PM.

Comment

IMO, Linux is a better platform to use Windows applications on than ReactOS:

Comment

It could be interesting in time when proper visualization (something better than Botchs and QEMU slimmer) would run on Android. It bu easy just distribute warez free virtual machine package..

Comment

Working...
                    X