FreeBSD Working On A GPLv3 Toolchain Repo & Other Advancements In Q1-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Working On A GPLv3 Toolchain Repo & Other Advancements In Q1-2016

Phoronix: FreeBSD Working On A GPLv3 Toolchain Repo & Other Advancements In Q1-2016

The FreeBSD project issued their quarterly status report concerning the state of various projects happening for this BSD operating system. It was another busy three months for the FreeBSD crew!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought they switched to LLVM at the first place precise they didn't want the GPLv3?

Comment

It seems as if clang doesn't work in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        I thought they switched to LLVM at the first place precise they didn't want the GPLv3?
        This is for supporting architectures that LLVM doesn't currently support, but FreeBSD and GCC do, because FreeBSD wants to move forward with C standards and not be tied down the standards the GPLv2 GCC supports.
        Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 02 May 2016, 08:14 PM.

Comment

freebsd decided that suffering self-inflicted pain of 10 year old gcc is too much

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            no, they froze gcc at 4.2 because of glpv3
            they started using llvm on some architectures several years later
            btw, this is where all comparisons of current llvm against 10 year old gcc are coming from

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              FreeBSD wants to move forward with C standards and not be tied down the standards the GPLv2 GCC supports.
              Almost all c99 features were supported in GCC that freebsd supports. C11 didn't make that many changes and didn't add anything that important. Not to mention that most of its changes do not require compiler support.

Comment

Originally posted by float View Post
                Almost all c99 features were supported in GCC that freebsd supports. C11 didn't make that many changes and didn't add anything that important. Not to mention that most of its changes do not require compiler support.
                Read the Notes.... or here... I'll post the relevant section for you

Originally posted by TFA
                Core, together with John Baldwin, are working on a plan to create a separate repository containing GPLv3 toolchain components. This will allow modernization of code within base beyond what the existing GPLv2 toolchain can handle, and permit support of certain new architectures where a copyfree licensed alternative (i.e., LLVM) is not yet available. A position paper will soon be circulated to developers for comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  Read the Notes.... or here... I'll post the relevant section for you
                  They do not mention anything specific to newer standards, it could as well be about extensions. I am wondering on the exact features they are interested on. I remember in the past seeing some slides where they talked about C11 threads, however as far as I know they can be implemented without special compiler support except the thread local storage that could be implemented via gcc extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by float View Post
                    They do not mention anything specific to newer standards, it could as well be about extensions. I am wondering on the exact features they are interested on. I remember in the past seeing some slides where they talked about C11 threads, however as far as I know they can be implemented without special compiler support except the thread local storage that could be implemented via gcc extensions.
                    Just what does "code modernization" mean to you then? Also It is incredibly unlikely for them to be switching in order to use gcc extensions when their primary compiler is LLVM, and if they are using extensions it'll only be ones that LLVM also supports.

Comment

Working...
                    X