Windows 10 Radeon Software vs. AMDGPU On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Please read the Steam statistics about hardware first. Then write.

Jon Peddie Research (JPR), the industry's research and consulting firm for graphics and multimedia, announced estimated graphics chip shipments and suppliers' market share for 2013 4Q. The quarter was the second quarter in a row to show a gain in shipments, up 1.6% quarter-to-quarter, and up 2% comp...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Installing the amdgpu hybrid stack actually replaces the existing amdgpu kernel module with a new one built from a DKMS package, so the existing kernel amdgpu driver itself shouldn't matter much.
      Yes, but the amdgpu pro driver failed to build... so it's using the one from the agd5f kernel tree based on 4.6-rc1.

Comment

Originally posted by V10lator View Post

Don't wonder when your bug report gets closed as it will be a duplicate of this "closed" bug: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...time/issues/13
        Sorry, I fail to see how the two bugs are identical, or even related. Could you be more specific?

Comment

Real title of this article should be:

FINALLY, AFTER SO MANY YEARS, AMD HAS GOT THEIR LINUX DRIVERS RIGHT!!!

Comment

We are talking about game performances here, so I assumed we could talk about gamers hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
              Real title of this article should be:

FINALLY, AFTER SO MANY YEARS, AMD HAS GOT THEIR LINUX DRIVERS RIGHT!!!
              It's so much more complicated then that. For desktop usage their drivers have been the very best available for years.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                It's so much more complicated then that. For desktop usage their drivers have been the very best available for years.
                I can admit at least these MAJOR improvements:
                - Fucking Catalyst kernel module is gone. No more GPF kernel crashes after week of uptime. No more black screens after kernel upgrades. Regardless if it was "pro" or "non-pro".
                - Bonus: bye-bye tainted kernels, so you do not collect middle fingers of whole kernel team anymore when trying to report bug.
                - Now Linux driver performance is on par with Windows. Historically, AMD's Windows driver had better performance in most cases. So it seems reworking Linux driver seriously fixed it in the process.
                - As bonus, all-open stack exposes really neat performance in these runs and now it hit OpenGL 4.3 level. So there're quite few reasons to mess with blobs at all.

Comment

We are talking about game performances here, so I assumed we could talk about gamers hardware.
                  Intel graphics are plenty for many Steam games unless you want to run them at high res or effects settings.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

Intel graphics are plenty for many Steam games unless you want to run them at high res or effects settings.
                    Little games yes, but most big titles refuse to launch because of OpenGL version...

Comment

Little games yes, but most big titles refuse to launch because of OpenGL version...
                      Yeah, I just wish Intel, as a company, didn't have such a frustrating attitude. They tend to be the lone wolf. You can see it reflected across almost everything they are tied up in. Including their open source efforts. I can't say I blame them for it, but it is frustrating. I think if Intel had incorporated their OpenCL support within the mesa framework, the OSS community would have been much better off. We'd all be enjoying top notch stuff right now on a variety of hardware.

I think the only thing Intel needs for GL4.3 is fp64 support. I just really hope it's implemented in a way that other drivers like r600 can benefit from it.

Comment

Working...
                      X