Windows 10 Radeon Software vs. AMDGPU On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post

Most people, the vast majority, just use the igp.
    What is IGP?

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post

I agree

I will contact VALVe and say that Catalyst has already started dying and that they should enable some form of automatic driver/library detection. But since they live in the past in many ways and they operate withing "VALVe time" limits, I don't think that will happen so soon (hopefully, it will).
      I think you will need to tackle Gabe on the street, tell him directly might get it fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

I think you will need to tackle Gabe on the street, tell him directly might get it fixed!
        And risk delaying HL3 for more 10 years? Nah-hah :P

Actually, VALVe is pretty responsive in their github page. I reported a bug (2 days ago) and they reviewed it in no time. Hopefully a patch update will come soon.

Team Fortress 2 have a big problem with Radeon/Mesa. After playing for a few seconds on turbine (with lots of engineers, which seems to cause the crash), the system suddenly freezes. Happens on Deb...

Comment

You see, this is a thing that distro developers could be doing since 2012. Steam ships those old libraries and they're Ubuntu 12.04 compatible, right? So there's no reason to use those libraries in post 2012 distros unless they don't have those libraries at all.
          The steam runtime mimics Ubuntu 12.04 LTS support on newer distributions (maybe it's not 12.04 anymore) since 12.04 is the one that's supported by steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            The steam runtime mimics Ubuntu 12.04 LTS support on newer distributions (maybe it's not 12.04 anymore) since 12.04 is the one that's supported by steam.
            You might be right.

Comment

You might be right.
              He's definitely right. IGP is integrated graphics processor. You find them on NB's and APU's.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

He's definitely right. IGP is integrated graphics processor. You find them on NB's and APU's.
                IGP is integrated, and DGP is discrete. I see this used on Arch and a couple other sites. I found it's a nice simple method to make it easier to remember the differance by simply changing the first letter.

Anyway, can anyone explain to be in lay how I make use, or force full-time if I have to, the DGP on my laptop instead of the IGP? Apparently the kernel is supposed to be 'intelligent', but it doesn't appear to happening with my one whole day of testing. Also, I'm on mesa and a Radeon 7670 on Arch (xorg is at 1.18, radeon at 7.7 and whatever comes after it, using all standard arch packages) so no AMDGPU for me (missed by one gen!). Apparently using radeon.modeset=1 doesn't do anything for this issue.
                Hi

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Here's the thing about it though, if there is any chance that your application can require more than 4GB on it 's main thread then it should be 64bits. Otherwise 32bits is probably a good idea.

EDIT: I recognize the additional registers and additional ISA extensions too. So it depends on benchmarks i guess in the end as to which is better for which applications.
                  You don't have to choose: there is x32, which is a calling convention running in long mode (64-bit) but with 4-byte pointers.

Comment

I will contact VALVe
                    their github page.
                    Don't wonder when your bug report gets closed as it will be a duplicate of this "closed" bug: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...time/issues/13

Comment

I know Michael has been limited by Windows in this case, but has anybody tested the beta driver with actual games on Linux - CS, Bioshock?

Comment

Working...
                      X