Testing Ubuntu's User-Space/Bash On Windows Is Going Well, Benchmarks Incoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille View Post

Enable the Linux Subsystem in the Windows Features, then you can type bash in the normal shell. After this you has to set a dns server in the linux environment
    Sounds like time for nsswitch plugin that offloads requests to Windows

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

All windows drive letters are supposed to be auto mounted under , so d: would be

So, just like if you mounted a disk in Linux, except the names suck. I imagine you can go into fstab or equivalent to change the mount directory, but I haven't tried it, so this is an assumption. Long story short, it feels like Linux, and you have access to all mounted file systems and drive, including I believe network shares that are mounted.
      Interesting. So C:\ goes under /mount/c/ and then /home/user is symlinked? I guess that makes sense, but it's a bit strange for me as a Linux user to have the entire /home symlinked. Ah well, I'm not eager to try it, but if I can have bash (and company) on Windows I'm happy.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

In that case Shuttleworth must be the most incompetent businessman in the history of commerce.

FYI: Canonical hasn't ever run a reasonable profit. There is nothing to cash out on.
        Trust me I fully understand, it seems like you're starting to get an inkling too. About time really.

Comment

My guess it that MS wants to save money in the future and partly to get some Linux admins back to Windows. Previously they made their own userspace tools as UNIX subsystem but without POSIX layer (that existed in NT but without network). Maybe they reused that code and added the rest to make console tools happy. Now they can use the userspace from Ubuntu or whatever. Would be cool to benchmark Samba vs native SMB shares...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            to get some Linux admins back to Windows.
            The Subsystem is not for Admins! Its only a feature for developers. To test the apps direkt on windows.

Comment

But will it run Wine ???

Comment

Originally posted by cygn View Post
                But will it run Wine ???
                Why would it need to? It's windows. I understand Windows 10 doesn't run many apps wine can, but.....

Comment

Benchmarks: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-lxcore&num=1
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

install the mentioned ext2fsd Driver or the Driver from Paragon: Paragon ExtFS for Windows The last One is a Userspace Driver like the FUSE stuff.
                    Thanks! Was wondering if Win10 would also start "indexing" the content of my linux drives. I found it quite creepy when I saw all .exe files in registry to store a "compatibility flag" or so.
                    Lockheed

Comment

Originally posted by adila01 View Post

Don't be so quick to dismiss this idea. Microsoft's lead architect for Windows STRONGLY hinted at this possibility at Build 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/co..._hinted_in_an/

I'm not laughing that they might/could/would do it, I'm laughing because I would *never* use it on linux out of principle (and I like PS).

Comment

Working...
                      X