Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD/PC-BSD 10.3 vs. Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: FreeBSD/PC-BSD 10.3 vs. Linux Benchmarks

With FreeBSD 10.3 having been released followed by the desktop-oriented PC-BSD 10.3 release that's running rather nicely, I decided to run some open-source performance benchmarks atop PC-BSD 10.3 x64 compared to various Linux distributions.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=23031

Something looks funky with the clear linux setup. "-march=westmere"? That's a six year old processor.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
      Something looks funky with the clear linux setup. "-march=westmere"? That's a six year old processor.
      That's currently part of their default CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

That's currently part of their default CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS.
        Understood. Still, that's strange. Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

I read these benchmarks as follows:

* ZFS - fast
          * Clang 3.4 - slow

As in - freebsd benefits from using ZFS, but suffers from using Clang 3.4 as a builder, rather than gcc, which (still) generates better quality code.

Am I off?

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
            freebsd benefits from using ZFS, but suffers from using Clang 3.4 as a builder, rather than gcc, which (still) generates better quality code.
            Very likely, yes. So potentially GNU/kFreeBSD on ZFS could have the best of both.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

Understood. Still, that's strange. Thanks for the clarification!
              Those things generally cause little improvement, unless you have specialized hand-written code that makes use of newer processor instructions. Such code may live in the libc though ... (e.g., memset implemented with AVX2).

Comment

Originally posted by stevenc View Post

Very likely, yes. So potentially GNU/kFreeBSD on ZFS could have the best of both.
                Indeed ... Or Ubuntu BSD, which is alive .

Comment

I'm very interested. Unfortunately, FBSD 10.03 still no support accelerated graphics for the Intel Haswell processors, but I understand it will be there in FBSD 11.0, so I'm waiting for that.

Comment

How about ZFS on Ubuntu, aren't they have native ZFS support on 16.04? How will that compare to the ZFS optimized BSD?

Comment

Working...
                    X