Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have You Had Any Luck Running Ubuntu On Windows 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
    Michael, after enrolling a comp, it can take up to 24 hours to receive the builds. No need to edit the Registry or anything, just enable Insider in Settings, then check for updates every once in a while.
    Hmm I have waited more than 24 hours, but I guess will just wait 24 hours now without making any other modifications to try to speed it up.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm not excited at all. In fact, I'd rather feel right at home with Windows 7 without a need for Aero Glass for Windows 8 and Classic Shell. I did not want to keep up with the trend when it comes to Windows. I'm so hellbent in turning my back on Windows 10.

As for BASH... That does not pique me to buy Windows 10. Even with apt-get for installing ssh.
      Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 08 April 2016, 11:53 AM.

Comment

And do "we" (the linux folks) like this? What's the common sense?

Comment

Here are some suggestions how to make Windows Update to see build 14316: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...9-b380b31a1f42
          The can be basically subsumed as "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Other way is to use an ISO image which was generated from Install.esd by somebody who already has received the update.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I had read that and then modified the registry to point to switching the ring a month ago, but still no luck. Happen to know any other tricks?
            It's a bug in the Insider registration platform. The way to workaround it is downloading a 11099 or later ISO and update from there(I can upload one if you need it)
            This is a known bug since forever

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              Here are some suggestions how to make Windows Update to see build 14316: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...9-b380b31a1f42
              The can be basically subsumed as "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Other way is to use an ISO image which was generated from Install.esd by somebody who already has received the update.
              If you are feeling lucky, here is just such an ISO (this is what I used)

A shame MS won't just publish the ISO so we don't have to download from potentially shady sources :-/

I would also be very surprised if you can run PTS on this. The set of implemented syscalls is pretty limited for now. Basic things like ping and nslookup don't work.

The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)’s new LxRun management program lets you download and install the Bash shell and Linux distributions on Windows 10.

I can`t get symbols for lxcore.sys so I just write simple idc scipt. Each item in table has very simple structure: PAGE:00000001C0046620   ...

Comment

So, this will be a bit long. But first, for those that are having trouble connecting to the Internet through the Bash shell, try adding known good dns providers to your network adapter. I added Google's 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8. This allowed me to apt-get update, then apt install fish with no problem.

Now, the easiest way to install an isider build is to download the .esd file and convert it to an ISO. You can do an upgrade or a fresh install with this ISO.

I recommend downloading the .esd from Microsoft's own server to be safe. There is a great site that provides those links here.

You will probably want the 64bit en us pro version of this release. If you want the x86 version, is the one you want. The links change at regular intervals, so go to that site for the latest links directly from Microsoft.

You can choose different languages, but I forget which initial is for German.

Now the fun part. We next need to convert that file to an ISO. Luckily, the folks over at forums.mydigitallife.info have done the hard work for us.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...l=1#post992731

Choose one of these two downloads and follow the included instructions.

It is a command line interface, and you probably want to choose the iso esd option for size considerations. You put a copy of the esd file into the same directory, run the decrypt.bat and then make your choices. It is pretty fast.

From their, you can use the same tool that you used to make your first Windows installer if you want a clean install.
                Last edited by dragorth; 08 April 2016, 12:56 PM.

Comment

if that OS doesn't have such non-sense problems we wont be here, it is just normal for the windows

Comment

I don't have W10 to test it, but you can try this fix.
                    If you installed Bash in Windows 10 and the network does not work for you, e.g. you cannot connect to some host via ssh, here is a quick fix for you.

Comment

I respect myself, I don't use Windows 10, period.

Comment

Working...
                      X