Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Insider Update Now Ships Ubuntu Bash For Windows

Phoronix: Windows 10 Insider Update Now Ships Ubuntu Bash For Windows

Following last week's announcement of Canonical and Microsoft working together to bring Ubuntu's user-space with Bash to Windows 10 in user-space using a new Windows 10 Linux subsystem, the preliminary support is now available with the latest Windows Insider update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One question that's been on my mind is - bash in Ubuntu is GPL, so they have to release the source code for whatever bash version they're shipping. Are they doing so?

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
      One question that's been on my mind is - bash in Ubuntu is GPL, so they have to release the source code for whatever bash version they're shipping. Are they doing so?
      It can be unmodified bash from Ubuntu

Comment

I find it interesting that it's actually the first bullet point on the MS website.

Comment

I have a perl script that I wrote initially for Linux, which then I had cause to run on Windows later down the line. To run it on Windows, I had to amend it to allow for the usual Windows crap, most notably directories -> drives and / to \ in paths, that kind of thing. With this, does it mean I can run the exact same perl script on Linux and Windows without doing a
          Code:
          if( $^O eq 'MSWin32' ) {...
          in my script?

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
            Ubuntu ships the exact code it uses to build binaries with, yes. As I understand it this is a vanilla Ubuntu server image downloaded from the Ubuntu archives.

Comment

phoronix

Please show a process tree / process and system memory usage / disk space usage ... before AND after:
              - installing the feature
              - installing the ubuntu (or any other I guess) iso,
              - starting bash

Using something like process hacker you could also show loaded modules (does it load some compatibility dll like cygwin?), threads (does it start extra threads like cygwin?) ...
              Last edited by xnor; 06 April 2016, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                I have a perl script that I wrote initially for Linux, which then I had cause to run on Windows later down the line. To run it on Windows, I had to amend it to allow for the usual Windows crap, most notably directories -> drives and / to \ in paths, that kind of thing. With this, does it mean I can run the exact same perl script on Linux and Windows without doing a
                Code:
                if( $^O eq 'MSWin32' ) {...
                in my script?
                Depends on the APIs. C drive will be mounted somewhere with something like "/mnt/c/Program Files/" so simple file handling should be straight forward. chmod and chown will probably only modify ownership*, but windows permissions model isn't group based so things might get tricky. X server is likely out of the question for now. There will likely be some fancy virtualization stuff like containers that won't work; At least at first. Kernel IPCs might need different optimizations since sockets and buses would be equally handled regarding overhead in the NT microkernel. Split stacks and garbage collectors might have extra overhead depending on what algorithm they opted for the heap allocation. Interrupt handling will carry an indirection. Some assembly won't...

Overall, I think 99% of what people have in mind should work more or less as is and run fine. But we'll see soon enough...

*Edit: Just remembered CIFS solves this somehow so it's probably going to work fine.

2nd Edit: I forgot the most important thing: mutlithreading. Windows always had horrible overhead for creating more threads and processes. If this is handled well now, it might drive a whole lot of attention from developers. Definitely one of the first things to look out for.
                Last edited by c117152; 06 April 2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

The beta for Windows 10 had a key logger which you agreed to in the EULA by selecting "yes". I would assume the insider updates do the same. Be extremely cautious!

Comment

Yeah, this FUD totally hasn't been beaten to death, please keep reminding us with each and every article related to Windows 10 in any way.

Comment

Working...
                    X