Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC-BSD 10.3 Is Looking Great, Plus Trying The Linux Compatibility Layer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PC-BSD 10.3 Is Looking Great, Plus Trying The Linux Compatibility Layer

    Phoronix: PC-BSD 10.3 Is Looking Great, Plus Trying The Linux Compatibility Layer

    Following this week's release of FreeBSD 10.3 has been the releases of the deskop-friendly PC-BSD 10.3 operating system along with PC-BSD's server-focused TrueOS 10.3 release. I've fired up PC-BSD 10.3 for some benchmarking and so far the experience has been going great...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Looking-Great

  • #2
    It was explained to me that Linux Steam and therefore modern Linux games still won't work on with FreeBSD because of the very old CentOS base, even when not factoring in the segfaults. I guess the BSD kernel is still only translating system calls from the Linux 2.6 era kernel still but there are some improvements made to support 64-bit binaries at least.

    It should be possible to benchmark FOSS games like OpenArena, SuperTuxKart, and Xonotic, though.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've found that PC-BSD as a desktop system is too slow/unresponsive even on decent hardware. I last tried 10.2 on a Gigabyte Z97M-DS3H with a Pentium G3240, 16GB RAM, and GeForce 750 Ti. I honestly thought I was running OpenBSD; it was extremely slow loading even basic apps like KWrite or Dolphin File Manager, and Chromium took over 10 seconds to load on first launch. Overall the OS just felt choppy and incomplete. Windows 10 and pretty much any Linux variant on this same system is extremely fast and responsive, with Slackware and Arch-based Antergos coming out on top.

      This mirrors my last experience trying out PC-BSD back in the 9.x days on different (then-current, Sandy Bridge based) hardware, so it seems they haven't really improved desktop responsiveness since then. That's a shame given it's a desktop-oriented OS.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kaidenshi View Post
        I've found that PC-BSD as a desktop system is too slow/unresponsive even on decent hardware. I last tried 10.2 on a Gigabyte Z97M-DS3H with a Pentium G3240, 16GB RAM, and GeForce 750 Ti. I honestly thought I was running OpenBSD; it was extremely slow loading even basic apps like KWrite or Dolphin File Manager, and Chromium took over 10 seconds to load on first launch. Overall the OS just felt choppy and incomplete. Windows 10 and pretty much any Linux variant on this same system is extremely fast and responsive, with Slackware and Arch-based Antergos coming out on top.

        This mirrors my last experience trying out PC-BSD back in the 9.x days on different (then-current, Sandy Bridge based) hardware, so it seems they haven't really improved desktop responsiveness since then. That's a shame given it's a desktop-oriented OS.
        perhaps you got hit by this https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/10197 and the os reverted to vesa?

        Comment


        • #5
          Who in their right mind would consider pc-bsd, freeNAS, trueOS or any other IX systems sponsored reroll.... they do NOT sign their releases (when I asked for this feature in a FreeNAS forum, they deleted my posts!!!!) or provide secure TLS downloads. More on topic, after investing much time and effort in learning these rerolls to the point of planning how to contribute back, I had to give up. MANY glitches and gotchas; that sucked, but that I could fix and help improve the community/product. Corruption from the top is just a heartbreak though..... IX isn't even a california corporation anymore; it's a shell/front company (how ironic). The Jupiter Broadcasting shows are amazing quality and originally lured me away from Ubuntu... time to refocus and not be thrown by TLA's divide and conquer strategy!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by aht0 View Post

            perhaps you got hit by this https://bugs.pcbsd.org/issues/10197 and the os reverted to vesa?

            No, I confirmed that the Nvidia driver was loaded and functioning properly, and it didn't seem like any kind of video issue anyway. Once the app was loaded it was smooth as far as rendering and normal window operations, just slow to load even when cached in RAM. I did notice with web browsers (particularly Firefox), a definite slowness in rendering even simple text-based websites. Even CLI operations were noticeably sluggish compared to Linux and FreeBSD. Again, this has been a consistent experience across a range of Intel and AMD hardware from PC-BSD 9.x to current versions.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kaidenshi View Post
              No, I confirmed that the Nvidia driver was loaded and functioning properly, and it didn't seem like any kind of video issue anyway. Once the app was loaded it was smooth as far as rendering and normal window operations, just slow to load even when cached in RAM. I did notice with web browsers (particularly Firefox), a definite slowness in rendering even simple text-based websites. Even CLI operations were noticeably sluggish compared to Linux and FreeBSD. Again, this has been a consistent experience across a range of Intel and AMD hardware from PC-BSD 9.x to current versions.
              Then I suspect you were trying to run PC-BSD from some sort of RAID drive. ZFS being run from underlying RAID device (be it run from motherboard's chip or by dedicated hardware RAID card) does not play well at all and is BAD IDEA. ZFS needs direct access to drive it's using.

              For example you have got 2 HDDs in RAID0 provided by motherboards chipset, and you install PC-BSD on that nice big virtual single drive. You are going to get exact same symptoms. Everything to do with IO is going to be sluggish. Something like opening KDE menu is going to take like 0,1-3 seconds, randomly different each time.

              Originally posted by Montel View Post
              Who in their right mind would consider pc-bsd, freeNAS, trueOS or any other IX systems sponsored reroll.... they do NOT sign their releases (when I asked for this feature in a FreeNAS forum, they deleted my posts!!!!) or provide secure TLS downloads. More on topic, after investing much time and effort in learning these rerolls to the point of planning how to contribute back, I had to give up. MANY glitches and gotchas; that sucked, but that I could fix and help improve the community/product. Corruption from the top is just a heartbreak though..... IX isn't even a california corporation anymore; it's a shell/front company (how ironic). The Jupiter Broadcasting shows are amazing quality and originally lured me away from Ubuntu... time to refocus and not be thrown by TLA's divide and conquer strategy!
              PC-BSD download page has SHA256 hashes provided for each file. Not hard to compute hash for downloaded file and compare them.

              Comment

              Working...
              X