I Am Excited About Ubuntu Coming Atop Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cyrix View Post
    Of course windows users are excited about being able to run all this great software on their platform. However, I wonder what Ubuntu contributors think about their time/money being used to improve a competitor's product.
    They surely get their share. This is business, not charity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post

No, it's a new NT subsystem without an emulation layer.

Which software has not worked on Windows before?
      I don't think it's new, I'm pretty sure MS initially developed it in the 90's and only just now decided to use it with Canonicals help.

Comment

NT has been able to use different subsystems since the early 90s, NT 3.1 even had an OS/2 subsystem. Yes, it's very likely that they used the same mechanics for the "new" Linux subsystem too.

Comment

Which software has not worked on Windows before?
          Did it? So why all this effort?

Comment

Check this out. It even comes with native Windows binaries.
            Does this free me from compiling the software specifically for Windows? It doesn't seem so, and this means I would still have to port my software.

Comment

Originally posted by gerddie View Post

Does this free me from compiling the software specifically for Windows? It doesn't seem so, and this means I would still have to port my software.
              I think what it means is that app developers can pull this as a dependency and they get all the benefits of an ubuntu command line userspace.

Comment

Originally posted by gerddie View Post

*Here, we’re talking about bit-for-bit, checksum-for-checksum Ubuntu ELF binaries running directly in Windows.*

So technicaly you don't need to port your application for Windows as Ubuntu binary run BUT if you want your application runnable on older Windows than Windows 10, you have to port/recompile them.

Comment

My opinion? I suppose the word for it would be "Meh". I don't mind it existing, but it's not useful to me personally.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I too am very interested to see benchmark results. I am otherwise wary of how this will turn out, and I have a feeling Canonical is going to screw us all over somehow.
                    I was thinking the same thing..

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I think what it means is that app developers can pull this as a dependency and they get all the benefits of an ubuntu command line userspace.
                      Originally posted by RavFX View Post

*Here, we’re talking about bit-for-bit, checksum-for-checksum Ubuntu ELF binaries running directly in Windows.*

I think you misunderstood my comment, I was refering to https://chocolatey.org/ pointed to by Cthulhux, which is kind of a packaging manager for Windows software with a certain amount of dependency tracking.

I understand that the Ubuntu-on-Windows thingy is an application that provides an Ubuntu environment within Windows. So when I want to use some software that is packaged for the supported Ubuntu version one can install this Ubuntu-on-Windows app and then install and run the packaged software within the environment. As a developer all I would have to care about is to make sure my software is packaged for Ubuntu.

What I'm really wondering though is whether software run within this environment can make use of an X server like xming.
                      Last edited by gerddie; 05 April 2016, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X