Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UbuntuBSD Brings Ubuntu Atop The FreeBSD Kernel

Phoronix: UbuntuBSD Brings Ubuntu Atop The FreeBSD Kernel

The inaugural release of UbuntuBSD is now available, which the developers have codenamed "Escape From SystemD", and pairs the Ubuntu userspace with the FreeBSD kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now they have another new flavor. I wonder when UbuntuWindows will appear?

Comment

Tried for zfs as /root but that doesn't work?

Comment

veteran unix admins strike back

Comment

Revenge of the SysV?

Comment

The problem with anything along these particular lines is that providing a Linux userspace ontop of the FreeBSD kernel doesn't really bring any advantages over using straight up FreeBSD, and can be fairly strongly be argued to bring disadvantages, and if you really must insist on using GNU's userspace you can install it from pkgs. So your targeted user-base just ends up being people who want to run FreeBSD but are uncomfortable making the jump all the way and thus are latching onto the name brand recognition of Linux Distros instead of just using say PC-BSD, which explains quite readily why these types of efforts fail.

Comment

Imagine if you could chose the kernel to boot from GRUB, so you can chose to boot either the Linux kernel or the FreeBSD kernel with the same user space. Both kernels stored in the same partition.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Imagine if you could chose the kernel to boot from GRUB, so you can chose to boot either the Linux kernel or the FreeBSD kernel with the same user space. Both kernels stored in the same partition.
                Different compilers, software library versions, changes in filepaths for BSD/Linux, etc... All say that would be a lofty goal. An interesting one for sure, but lofty.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenc View Post
                  Revenge of the SysV?
                  God i hope not. I love not having to screw around with .sh files that all repeat the same boilerplate, but subtle differences that break things.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    The problem with anything along these particular lines is that providing a Linux userspace ontop of the FreeBSD kernel doesn't really bring any advantages over using straight up FreeBSD, and can be fairly strongly be argued to bring disadvantages, and if you really must insist on using GNU's userspace you can install it from pkgs. So your targeted user-base just ends up being people who want to run FreeBSD but are uncomfortable making the jump all the way and thus are latching onto the name brand recognition of Linux Distros instead of just using say PC-BSD, which explains quite readily why these types of efforts fail.

Not to mention FreeBSD has builtin Linux API support, so can run quite a lot of Linux binaries out of the box, without needing a Ubuntu userspace.

Comment

Working...
                    X