Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Btrfs File-System Kernel Driver For Windows

Phoronix: A Btrfs File-System Kernel Driver For Windows

A Phoronix reader wrote in with the work he's done on implementing a full-functioning Btrfs file-system driver for Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I sort of thought that windows drivers had to have been signed by trusted party unless you tested them in driver SDK or something.
    edit: nevermind, README.md says that you need Windows DDK thingy and compile it manually. Probably not really user friendly at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
      I sort of thought that windows drivers had to have been signed by trusted party unless you tested them in driver SDK or something.
      edit: nevermind, README.md says that you need Windows DDK thingy and compile it manually. Probably not really user friendly at this time.
      Not quite - there's precompiled binaries, you just need to put your Windows in Test Mode (bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING ON) in order to use them.

Comment

Woah, awesome! A file system that is not shit which can be shared between windows and linux. I'd have wanted this 3 years ago when I was starting to use Linux; before I gave up completely on Windows you know (which I did after all the shit with Windows 10 that's going on now like all of this https://i.imgur.com/iHge6RJ.jpg and their terms of service that deny you any propriety or private ownership over any content in any device running a microsoft operating system; as long as they can access those files that is, which they can in Windows 10. And I mean this is just fuckin creepy. http://arstechnica.com/information-t...s-7-8-systems/ and this is even more creepy http://www.mtv.com/news/2254238/wind...automatically/ and well, in case you want to see their terms of service I talked about, article 2 paragraph b.: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/ after all this, I have finally gotten truly serious about dumping windows despite not really being fully satisfied with Linux, this just will not do.)

Comment

I'm curious, how the work with nix*-rights is done? Is the user just always supposed to be the root, or is there something smarter?

Comment

Originally posted by maharmstone View Post
            Not quite - there's precompiled binaries, you just need to put your Windows in Test Mode (bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING ON) in order to use them.
            Interesting, thanks for the info. For some reason I was convinced that they made it super annoying to do that practically (something like firefox addons on OS level).

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
              I'm curious, how the work with nix*-rights is done? Is the user just always supposed to be the root, or is there something smarter?
              Sort of a mish-mash at the moment. If the uid is in the uid->SID mapping table in the registry, the owner will be the correct SID. If there's a security.NTACL xattr, it'll use that for the owner. Otherwise, it'll use the generic S-1-5-22-uid (I think) SIDs that Samba uses.
              As for permissions, if security.NTACL isn't set it'll inherit the Windows permissions from the parent directory, but without regard to the POSIX permissions. Proper permission mapping is planned for a future release, but it's far from a trivial thing to do - IIRC even Samba hasn't perfected it yet. If you're worried about the permissions of a certain directory, you can always set the ACL manually in Windows.

Comment

I would love for this to be a thing!

Comment

I'd rather love to see ZFS in Storage Spaces. Badly.

Storage Spaces vs. ZFS Prelude It’s time for the big showdown! In this post I continue with my benchmark frenzy and after messing around with ZFS I put those SSDs to the test with FreeNAS. The most...

Comment

Why new and new filesystem formats, its some linux obsession.. What is wrong with EXT4? On Widows we are using more that 15 years ntfs and we are still ok.

Comment

Working...
                    X