Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of trying FreeBSD as a desktop

Dear all,

I use Linux and Windows on a regular basis, and to broaden my horizons was thinking of giving FreeBSD a go as a desktop for a few weeks. I have a Radeon HD 7850 which may be the sticking point as I believe it has only partial support in FreeBSD. Firstly, does anyone have experiences of this card and how well it runs? I understand I won't get GL4.1 on it with Mesa, and there is no catalyst, but how does it run? Secondly, I'd like to hear of experiences from those that run FreeBSD (or any other BSD for that matter) as a graphical desktop in general (on any hardware), and how they've got on with it - particularly those that have tried the less stable FreeBSD 11.

I am honestly not trolling here, I am genuinely interested in how things work and broadening my experience - I find some of the different decisions taken in FreeBSD in terms of its technical makeup to be very interesting. I welcome any comments.

Regards,
    Phil

Should work with that card on FreeBSD but without having hardware acceleration. You might also try OpenBSD, it has got better support for Radeon's
    http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.c...y=radeon&sec=4

Just keep in mind that OpenBSD is using text-based installer, simply because it's devs like it and they could'nt care less if others did not. Might get wrong impression from it.

Comment

A text-based installer is no issue for me - I have done manual installs of various Linux distros and also done my own LFS many times.

Comment

Working...
      X