Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking ReactOS 0.4 RC1 For A Test Drive To Experience Open-Source Windows Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    because 1) upgrading them to arm will be cheaper than current electricity bills and 2) it is easier to write linux driver for that shit than to write whole windows
    1. No it isn't.
    2. For a few drivers, yes, obviously. But the point of ReactOS is to write something that will work with all of them. Thousands and thousands. No one is going to reverse engineer all those drivers to work on linux, especially because many of them are only used in a handful of places in the world now. The idea is to come up with a general system that handles all of them - and that's essentially reverse engineering the windows kernel api. Most of the userspace is basically just bringing in the WINE code, so it's not like there's a ton of wasted effort there.

Comment

Hostility towards non-Linux opensource operating systems is something I don't understand here. If some people on their own time want to work for some project of their own choosing, some commenters are nearly outraged about that. Ok, I understand they are Linux fans, and that's ok. But nobody forces them to use ReactOS, GNU Hurd, or any of BSD's and so on. Yeah, developing those systems may be waste of time, but then nearly everything done as hobby is quite likely waste of time. Posting hostile comments on Phoronix is definitely waste of time, and harmfull waste of time.

Comment

It's not a waste of time if what they produce results in: A Working alternative to Windows and or Contributions to other Open Source Projects. I think ReactOS does both and I think it's an exciting project.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

1. No it isn't.
          2. For a few drivers, yes, obviously. But the point of ReactOS is to write something that will work with all of them
          1. yes it is
          2. point of reactos is to write something which will never work

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            2. point of reactos is to write something which will never work
            Feel free to keep trolling as much as you want, it clearly fulfills some kind of need you have.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Feel free to keep trolling as much as you want, it clearly fulfills some kind of need you have.
              on my side is hard reality: compare 20 years of reactos progress with 20 years of linux progress

Comment

Let's all be completely unreasonable assholes and start discouraging any progress or innovation outside of GNU/Linux.
                Obviously, GNU/Linux is the only product worth supporting and everyone who thinks otherwise is a loser wasting his time.

Gods how I love humanity...

Comment

Working...
                X