Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Makes Strides On Bhyve, UEFI+ZFS, Open-Source OpenCL

Phoronix: FreeBSD Makes Strides On Bhyve, UEFI+ZFS, Open-Source OpenCL

The FreeBSD 2015'Q3 quarterly report has been issued to recap the latest activity happening for this popular BSD project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This people at FreeBSD are serious about what they do, look at that report, that's organization. maybe the kernel it's not as famous as Linux but this is a excelent OS
    it deserves to be one of the best UNIX around. thank you for this wonderful piece of art.

Comment

Originally posted by orestesleal View Post
      This people at FreeBSD are serious about what they do, look at that report, that's organization. maybe the kernel it's not as famous as Linux but this is a excelent OS
      it deserves to be one of the best UNIX around. thank you for this wonderful piece of art.
      And why exactly is it a "wonderful piece of art"? Why did you choose these rather unusual words to describe this operating system?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        And why exactly is it a "wonderful piece of art"? Why did you choose these rather unusual words to describe this operating system?
        I don't know about that guy, but reading the report/release notes, it's nice to see what I consider documentation or at least some of ExplainLikeI'm5 of what something they worked on actually does. Check this out.

Comment

The most interesting work is bhyve.
          In a world that's slowly moving to large scale virtualization / cloud installation FBSD cannot afford to be left behind if it wants to remain relevant.

... I wonder how close it is to KVM/Xen feature wise and performance wise?

- Gilboa
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
            The most interesting work is bhyve.
            In a world that's slowly moving to large scale virtualization / cloud installation FBSD cannot afford to be left behind if it wants to remain relevant.

... I wonder how close it is to KVM/Xen feature wise and performance wise?

- Gilboa
            keep in mind that XEN dom0 is possible on FreeBSD already. You also cannot compare bhyve to KVM and XEN. They are completely different virtualization solutions!

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post

is a expression, do you know what they are?, look: excelent OS, great software, great ideas, happy now?

Comment

Lol, I guess it would go on as usually.
                - OpenCL is theoretically here, but good luck to use it. Have they got any GCNs on wheels? Not to mention that after looking on their wiki I got a question: are these guys actually running their code at all?
                - Bhyve is "improved" but who dares to use it in production? OTOH I use KVM for something like 5 years and it just works. To degree I can rely on it for various mission critical tasks.
                - ZFS mumbling ends up like this: they have slow, resource-hog and troublesome enterpeise ZFS, which only works reasonably on large storages in powerful servers, and crappy and outdated UFS, wihch is something similar to EXT2-age filesystems in terms of used techs and features. There are no other things to choose from. Feel free to choose from troubled enterprise resource hog and outdated crap.
                - Messing with ARMs is cool. But good luck to make some WORKING appliance, etc which is not plagued by dumb troubles here and there. When you'll try it, you suddenly understand FreeBSD lacks most of features one could need. Say, they do not have flash filesystems. Even Linux struggles with something like UBI and UBIFS to get things working on, say, "bare" NAND (especially on MLC nand). What would happen with FBSD? Well, I guess they're not even aware one can connect NAND directly to MC of CPU (and face all hardships of doing FTL). And even if they are, they do not have solutions to deal with it anyway. Shitty peripherals support is a hallmark of BSDs. They would yell device is "supported" when system barely boots CPU core and spits some crap into UART. Good luck to use "supported" device to do something useful and working.
                Last edited by SystemCrasher; 26 October 2015, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
                  Lol, I guess it would go on as usually.
                  - OpenCL is theoretically here, but good luck to use it. Have they got any GCNs on wheels? Not to mention that after looking on their wiki I got a question: are these guys actually running their code at all?
                  - Bhyve is "improved" but who dares to use it in production? OTOH I use KVM for something like 5 years and it just works. To degree I can rely on it for various mission critical tasks.
                  - ZFS mumbling ends up like this: they have slow, resource-hog and troublesome enterpeise ZFS, which only works reasonably on large storages in powerful servers, and crappy and outdated UFS, wihch is something similar to EXT2-age filesystems in terms of used techs and features. There are no other things to choose from. Feel free to choose from troubled enterprise resource hog and outdated crap.
                  - Messing with ARMs is cool. But good luck to make some WORKING appliance, etc which is not plagued by dumb troubles here and there. When you'll try it, you suddenly understand FreeBSD lacks most of features one could need. Say, they do not have flash filesystems. Even Linux struggles with something like UBI and UBIFS to get things working on, say, "bare" NAND (especially on MLC nand). What would happen with FBSD? Well, I guess they're not even aware one can connect NAND directly to MC of CPU (and face all hardships of doing FTL). And even if they are, they do not have solutions to deal with it anyway. Shitty peripherals support is a hallmark of BSDs. They would yell device is "supported" when system barely boots CPU core and spits some crap into UART. Good luck to use "supported" device to do something useful and working.
                  Well said SystemCrasher #KillAllBSDs #bsdIsDead #BSDShittyProjectManagment #BhyveFail #bsdFsFail #bsdEpicFail #AllBSDsAre
                  Last edited by endman; 27 October 2015, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                    keep in mind that XEN dom0 is possible on FreeBSD already. ...
                    But AFAIK in PVHVM mode. PVH mode is still experimental.

I desperately miss the ignore list for endman.

Comment

Working...
                    X