• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Nobu View Post
    You make phone calls on your TV?
    No i call portable POSIX TV on my phone @ 4K

Anyway, if you need Firefox and you use OpenIndiana, you can compile it yourself for each machine or make your own repository for packages not in the main repos, because you likely have at least that capabability. If not, then you probably should consider a different OS, at least for your primary machine.
    You are better to explain me what that Gnome 2 doing on any OS at this time and age on Planet Earth

And it is released with old unsupported Firefox and with OpenOffice which is broken - what kind of OS is that: "ZFS who cares sadomaso OS"
    Last edited by dungeon; 04 October 2015, 08:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nobu
    replied
    You make phone calls on your TV?
    I'll stick with my 400ppi phone, thanks.

Anyway, if you need Firefox and you use OpenIndiana, you can compile it yourself for each machine or make your own repository for packages not in the main repos, because you likely have at least that capabability. If not, then you probably should consider a different OS, at least for your primary machine.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    People still use Firefox?
    Sure.

Are they using rotary phones to make phone calls, too?
    4K rotary sure thing

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Hm, OS which does not have recent Firefox is not an OS... I guess even Windows XP users have newer one
    People still use Firefox?

Are they using rotary phones to make phone calls, too?

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

As you know, Windows XP does not provide Firefox in the default install. You need to download it and install (or compile from source). Similar with Solaris / OpenSolaris. The only difference is that Mozilla do not provide binaries for this OS. A company providing or not providing binaries is not a great indicator of whether an OS is an OS or not

Yes, modern Firefox is a pain to compile for Solaris, but that is due to developers writing unportable Linux-specific code rather than decent portable POSIX code.

Also, people regard iOS as a great OS... but that doesn't really provide Firefox. Just a firefox looking wrapper around Apple's WebKit. Perhaps you should tell the world to stop using iOS and install Windows XP on their iPhones instead haha.

Just my 2c from a guy who remembers a time when "everyone" was calling Linux insignificant compared to Windows...
    Thing is if i didn't comment, no one will comment in this OI thread

I remember they have it working two years ago, Micheal comment they now ship with year old unsupported esr - that is how i gain attention to FF matter. Then i checked mozilla download locations where they really seems stopped building it at FF/TB 31 version. Whatever the problem is about that, it is a problem.

And if you release new OS release with the problem, you just release to have what to archiving not that enyone should use it.
    Last edited by dungeon; 04 October 2015, 04:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

As you know, Windows XP does not provide Firefox in the default install. You need to download it and install (or compile from source). Similar with Solaris / OpenSolaris. The only difference is that Mozilla do not provide binaries for this OS. A company providing or not providing binaries is not a great indicator of whether an OS is an OS or not

Yes, modern Firefox is a pain to compile for Solaris, but that is due to developers writing unportable Linux-specific code rather than decent portable POSIX code.

Also, people regard iOS as a great OS... but that doesn't really provide Firefox. Just a firefox looking wrapper around Apple's WebKit. Perhaps you should tell the world to stop using iOS and install Windows XP on their iPhones instead haha.

Just my 2c from a guy who remembers a time when "everyone" was calling Linux insignificant compared to Windows...
    Ah OK, i refer to OSes which are usable on Desktop hardware and most important part of Desktop is also browsing the web... and really there if someone does not have man power for recent Firefox, to me it is just goes into homebrew OS catagory.

BTW, OI is just something for ZFS lovers and nothing more than that.

Leave a comment:

• computerquip
    replied
    To be fair, OpenSolaris guys are very under manned and havent had an easy time with Oracle breathing down there neck. They should be applauded just to continue their contributions.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Hm, OS which does not have recent Firefox is not an OS... I guess even Windows XP users have newer one

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nils_
    replied
    Why did you decide against running performance tests? Might be very interesting to see how this kernel performs vs. Linux

Leave a comment:

Working...
X