X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
    You make phone calls on your TV?
    No i call portable POSIX TV on my phone @ 4K

Anyway, if you need Firefox and you use OpenIndiana, you can compile it yourself for each machine or make your own repository for packages not in the main repos, because you likely have at least that capabability. If not, then you probably should consider a different OS, at least for your primary machine.
    You are better to explain me what that Gnome 2 doing on any OS at this time and age on Planet Earth

And it is released with old unsupported Firefox and with OpenOffice which is broken - what kind of OS is that: "ZFS who cares sadomaso OS"
    Last edited by dungeon; 04 October 2015, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I might as well try to explain to you why Windows is on any computer, or why cell phones are still being sold with Kitkat or Jellybean.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
        I might as well try to explain to you why Windows is on any computer, or why cell phones are still being sold with Kitkat or Jellybean.
        I know that... unix guys these days knows anything else, other then make their OS OK

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          People still use Firefox?
          Yeah, Firefox is for people who like to use extensions to make sure they can browse the interweb without all of its bullshit.

Comment

For enterprise level hardware, Solaris is still relevant. OpenSolaris userbase is there, not regular desktop. There having updated firefox is irrelevant, you will do most of the works on ssh.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Thing is if i didn't comment, no one will comment in this OI thread
              Haha, yes I do agree with you there

From a desktop point of view, Solaris 10 and 11 on the correct hardware are actually very nice to use. I (like most of the world) am not a fan of Gnome 3 and so Gnome 2 is quite a nice touch and feels a lot more "professional" than 3. Also the Nimbus theme is really nice (so much so that I ported it to FreeBSD and am still the maintainer).

As for desktop hardware... Yuck, don't think I even trust it these days. I think the closest I have to desktop hardware is my Thinkpad X200 (running the standard bios). I don't believe that hardware support should be the deciding factor on an OS you want to run. Just look at Mac OS X. The hardware support is terrible (only one machine brand runs it properly (Apple)) and even then only a couple of versions either way. With that logic, if I wanted to run Solaris, I would buy a Solaris box (server) from Oracle.

In their hayday, the workstations looked pretty awesome (http://www.electronicproducts.com/im...23SUNE0805.gif)...

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Haha, yes I do agree with you there

From a desktop point of view, Solaris 10 and 11 on the correct hardware are actually very nice to use. I (like most of the world) am not a fan of Gnome 3 and so Gnome 2 is quite a nice touch and feels a lot more "professional" than 3. Also the Nimbus theme is really nice (so much so that I ported it to FreeBSD and am still the maintainer).

As for desktop hardware... Yuck, don't think I even trust it these days. I think the closest I have to desktop hardware is my Thinkpad X200 (running the standard bios). I don't believe that hardware support should be the deciding factor on an OS you want to run. Just look at Mac OS X. The hardware support is terrible (only one machine brand runs it properly (Apple)) and even then only a couple of versions either way. With that logic, if I wanted to run Solaris, I would buy a Solaris box (server) from Oracle.

In their hayday, the workstations looked pretty awesome (http://www.electronicproducts.com/im...23SUNE0805.gif)...
                actually it's fairly painless to get osx running on much better hardware than what apple sells at egregious markups, but i find that osx has fairly well stagnated since around tiger. each 'new' release being more on the order of the skin/theme of the year.

plus osx feels sluggish compared to other oses on similar hardware, but i guess that's what becomes of being a 2nd or 3rd class citizen at apple.

ah solaris, i remember when i thought that it had a halfway decent gui, then we got some irix boxen...

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
                  ah solaris, i remember when i thought that it had a halfway decent gui, then we got some irix boxen...
                  Heh, is that <= Solaris 10 and good ol' CDE? Even today I find CDE and Motif great tools to use over X11 forwarding and under virtual machines since they have an extremely light footprint and yet still provide pretty complete desktop facilities.
                  I started a project a few years ago called OpenCDE to bring back CDE. I never needed to finish it because at the time the OpenGroup decided to actually release CDE under an open-source license.
                  For my uses, these technologies are much more useful than what Wayland can provide but oh well. At least they are open-source so I can maintain them myself

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    From a desktop point of view, Solaris 10 and 11 on the correct hardware are actually very nice to use.
                    There is only one issue: its really picky about hardware. Xorg gone for KMS/DRM while ago, so I guess most new GPUs would just turn into pumpkins. Ahem, I mean, dumbass VGA adapters which can't handle even youtube 360P video. Not to mention something like OpenGL (some CADs may want it, btw, if we're up for WORKstations). Furthermore, DRM/KMS is a big step to more or less decent graphic subsystem which does not works like piece of shit, like xorg always did. Especially in old versions. In fact it no longer Xorg-centric ecosystem at all.

You see, what you called "decent workstation" some 10 years ago, can be "laggy shit" these days. Compared to hardware one can get these days at affordable prices.

Comment

1. Mesa 11.0.2 package is in the http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-2015 repo.
                      2. Firefox 38.2.1esr packages are available at: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...s-i386.tar.bz2
                      3. They're using LibreOffice 4.4.5. Fixed OpenOffice 4.1.1 packages are freely available by 3rd party providers.
                      Last edited by indezign; 08 October 2015, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X