Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NeXTBSD Is Creating Lots Of BSD Excitement

Phoronix: NeXTBSD Is Creating Lots Of BSD Excitement

NeXTBSD was announced last weekend and it's easily been the most emailed in tip all week. Lots of Phoronix readers are curious about this new operating system derived from FreeBSD 10.1 that adds in various Mac OS X components. NeXTBSD seems like a very interesting open-source project while this morning I finally found the time to explore more about it and write-up a post...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be cool to run OSX apps with that, but I guess that's not going to happen for the next 10 years or so.

Comment

I guess this is the answer to the problems outlined in last year's bsdcan talk about the problems with FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
        Would be cool to run OSX apps with that, but I guess that's not going to happen for the next 10 years or so.

Darwin apps would be possible, but they are the same as FreeBSD, so no reason to do it. OS X apps needs Quartz and closed parts of Cocoa. If GNUstep was so mainstream like GTK and Qt and had a big community, so maybe...

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
          Given that Linux tends to have more comprehensive hardware support, my hope is on darling for being able to run OSX apps on a FOSS operating system 10 or 20 years down the road.

(darling is intended to be to OSX as Wine is to Windows)

Comment

Originally posted by Dharc View Post

Darwin apps would be possible, but they are the same as FreeBSD, so no reason to do it. OS X apps needs Quartz and closed parts of Cocoa. If GNUstep was so mainstream like GTK and Qt and had a big community, so maybe...
            Has anyone thought about taking the op3ned sourced Microsoft port of iOS/OS X APIs and porting them to X11'Wayland/Linux/*BSDs?

Comment

/rant
              Why do they go through all this effort to recreate something that has existed for the past 30 years when they could like actually be advancing technology by developing something NEW and COOL.

Like one of those abandoned projects such as Phantom OS that were great ideas but didn't get enough development to take off, or something interesting, like ramdisk based Tinycore (making existing tech a lot faster and a lot more efficient) QubesOS (an actual innovation in security focused operating systems)

Even Haiku is more interesting than this FreeBSD X. Is it their wettest dream to be in the shadow of Apple's slow and ugly OS X or what? Why are they wasting time on this when they could be making a difference in the software world.
              /rant end

I personally think ReactOS is a lot more interesting than this one, here we have a FreeBSD fork trying to catch up to OS X, which it never will, and even if they would, OS X is still the worst OS on the mainstream charts (performance wise) I bet FreeBSD as is already outperforms OS X but I haven't seen those benchmarks (would be nice to compare the BSDs and OS X...)

ReactOS on the other hand is a new OS trying to achieve binary compatibility with Windows which is something that's actually in demand, especially with all the people (not to mention governments) that are getting paranoid over Microsoft selling out to NSA. People that want to keep using a Windows like OS. But well, I guess the problem with this is going to be the same as with ReactOS and Wine, not enough development to ever amount up to any of the things it was meant to be. Nice try though. If nothing else, at least BSD will be able to run more stuff than before, to tell the truth I've long wanted to have an OINE (OS X emulator, OINE is not an emulator) because I've imagined it'd be a lot easier to make OS X native programs run under linux in a compatibility layer than windows programs (so maybe for once we actually could pull off running photoshop on a compatibility layer)

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                ReactOS on the other hand is a new OS trying to achieve binary compatibility with Windows which is something that's actually in demand
                nobody needs it. wine is more than enough, reactos is useless waste of time

Comment

The irony of all this is FreeBSD nuts keep criticizing systemd, claim that Linux is "bad" because of systemd and say that their crappy little OS is a safe haven for systemd "refugees". But now they are adopting something that is essentially like systemd but way more far crappier made of old but immature code. Looks like deep down they know systemd is the right way and that Linux having it will suck the live and users out of their OS so they throw FUD on it and even try to hire murders to kill the great and honourable Lennart Poettering (http://www.i-programmer.info/news/13...ice-place.html). New they came out of the closet.

I wonder what the BSD fayboys like Cthulhux, nasyt and Luke_Wolf have to say.

Comment

I hoped they would at least introduce new DE >.>

Comment

Working...
                    X