KDE Developer: PC-BSD 'Will Surpass Linux on Desktop by 2020'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Developer: PC-BSD 'Will Surpass Linux on Desktop by 2020'

KDE developer Luke Wolf has made a bold prediction: he expects that, by 2020, PC-BSD will surely overtake Linux on the desktop.
    Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

This Luke_Wolf BSD fanboy who calls himself a "KDE developer" need to start taking his meds. PC-BSD is a cluster f__k of a project and an OS and has been f__k up package management, their init system and system performance. It was slightly better in the 2000s but has since become worse. Lately, it's been copying linux pkg management. There no more PBIs, that's gone and replaced essentially with packages and dependencies with on Linux. PC-BSD also seem to have lost focus on what is important. They have slow inits, slow performance, no ASLR, no stack protection for 3rd party apps and lack driver support but they decide to build their own DE when there are other far better ones around.

It's more correct to predict that PC-BSD along with shady evil, corrupt corp iXsystems will disappear by 2020.

Comment

PC-BSD is built on a system that is defective by design. That's why it will fail. I am talking about FreeBSD. Just watch this and see:

Join a budding Linux enthusiast as he tries his hand with FreeBSD 10.EDIT: I get it. I clearly didn't know a lot about BSD when I made this video. I've spent...

This video should be shown as an introduction video for new BSD users.

Comment

This is how slow at boot up PC-BSD is:

Followup video: http://youtu.be/yT-o0psJeFcThis was strictly a boot up performance test, really. Booting the OS, and launching a web browser. The Linux based...

And how horrible it's UX is and it's sluggishness:

Today I installed PC-BSD and the Lumina desktop environment on my laptop. In the next few weeks I'll be attempting to browse the web, edit documents, and do ...

Comment

Originally posted by jake_lesser View Post
          ... it's been copying linux pkg management. There no more PBIs, that's gone and replaced essentially with packages and dependencies with on Linux....
          Since when FreeBSD's pkgng (also PC-BSD's package manager) has been a copy of Linux package management? As far as I know it is not based on either rpm, or deb systems, or any other linux package management system.

Comment

Originally posted by TiberiusDuval View Post
            Since when FreeBSD's pkgng (also PC-BSD's package manager) has been a copy of Linux package management? As far as I know it is not based on either rpm, or deb systems, or any other linux package management system.
            apt-get update - pkg update
            apt-get upgrade - pkg upgrade
            apt-get/yum install - pkg install
            apt-get/yum remove - pkg remove
            apt-get autoremove - pkg autoremove
            apt-get clean - pkg clean
            aptitude/yum search - pkg search

NetBSD's pkgin also does the same. It shows BSD has ran out of ideas.
            Last edited by jake_lesser; 13 September 2015, 05:03 PM.

Comment

BSD in general is truly on the decline. This sysadmin explains that FreeBSD is inferior on the servers compared to Ubuntu which is a desktop oriented system:

http://www.section6.net/2011/07/why-...earned-to.html

The same for OpenBSD. Ubuntu is better suited from anything then OpenBSD:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...-admin-s-story
              http://patrick.wagstrom.net/weblog/2...odbye-openbsd/

The statistics prove the decline of BSD (source: w3techs):

And believe it or not, Linux is taking over:

Comment

And believe it or not, Linux is taking over:

The most Servers are used to host some humble MySQL+PHP Stacks.

They massively use virtualisation and clustering (Cloud-Computing), where around 10 Linux-Systems run a single website. This scheme is used to provide Fail-Over, which is needed hence Linux isn't a really stable system.

Linux, which certainly doesn't has its strength in Networking, is also used by some networking projects until they want to scale up and then desperately move everything into their Application. Intel has released DPDK which frees them from the fate of bad networking Support.

For more information and to download the video visit: http://bit.ly/shmoocon2013Playlist ShmooCon 2013: http://bit.ly/Shmoo13Speaker: Robert GrahamA decade a...

In fact, those Sites, which have the need for really high throughput will install an Addon TCP/IP stack, which updates their Home-Computer OS with a carrier class Networking Stack.

Comment

apt-get update - pkg update
                  apt-get upgrade - pkg upgrade
                  apt-get/yum install - pkg install
                  apt-get/yum remove - pkg remove
                  apt-get autoremove - pkg autoremove
                  apt-get clean - pkg clean
                  aptitude/yum search - pkg search

NetBSD's pkgin also does the same. It shows BSD has ran out of ideas.
                  Umm common english words used as commands means copying. Quite weak argument.
                  Or should they had used commands like:
                  pkg erewrew
                  pkg rtruyuy
                  pkg zxywftf
                  and so on to not "copy" linux pkg tools.

Comment

Originally posted by TiberiusDuval View Post

Umm common english words used as commands means copying. Quite weak argument.
                    Or should they had used commands like:
                    pkg erewrew
                    pkg rtruyuy
                    pkg zxywftf
                    and so on to not "copy" linux pkg tools.
                    It's still copying Linux. That's the facts. If wanted to avoid it, they should have done this:

pkg fetchrepo # For updating repo data
                    pkg upgrade all-installed # For upgrading software
                    pkg install package # For installing 3rd party packages
                    pkg install base # For installing base packages (if they go ahead with this: https://www.bsdcan.org/2015/schedule...aging-base.pdf)
                    pkg remove package or pkg delete package # For removing 3rd party packages
                    pkg remove base or pkg delete base # For removing base packages
                    pkg remove package dep # For removing unused dependencies
                    pkg clear # For clearing old packages
                    pkg find # for searching repos

Comment

Working...
                    X