Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 10.2 Released, Linux Compatibility Based Off CentOS 6

Phoronix: FreeBSD 10.2 Released, Linux Compatibility Based Off CentOS 6

As anticipated, FreeBSD 10.2 is now officially available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

CentOS...never used that. So will X-Plane for ex. run now?

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
      CentOS...never used that. So will X-Plane for ex. run now?
      well, If X-plane will run on CentOS 6 then maybe. Your best bet would probably be to wait for 11-Release at which point they're likely to be rebasing over to CentOS 7 for their emulation layer based on what I've read, which should allow them to run Steam and such (outside of Wine that is). 11-Release is where things are going to become much more interesting overall in my opinion, because that's where the infrastructure work is really going to come into its own.

Comment

No one would run an outdated BSD CentOS emulation layer. They would rather run a legit CentOS which is easier to setup, use and has better performance.

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        well, If X-plane will run on CentOS 6 then maybe. Your best bet would probably be to wait for 11-Release at which point they're likely to be rebasing over to CentOS 7 for their emulation layer based on what I've read, which should allow them to run Steam and such (outside of Wine that is).
        Nah, I'd say CentOS 7 support would come in 23-Release (if it would ever exists).

11-Release is where things are going to become much more interesting overall in my opinion, because that's where the infrastructure work is really going to come into its own.
        The same was said for 10-Release but now FreeBSD has less users in 10-Release then in 9-Release. Nothing has changed, it just keeps getting older and older and less stable and mature (code and "developer" attitudes).

Comment

Working...
        X