Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumina Desktop 0.8.6 Adds New Localization Options & More

Phoronix: Lumina Desktop 0.8.6 Adds New Localization Options & More

With FreeBSD 10.2 coming later this month and that resulting in the PC-BSD 10.2 release, the crew behind this desktop-friendly BSD distribution have released their Lumina Desktop v0.8.6...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meh, they should port it to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Meh, they should port it to Linux.
      It already works with Linux.

Last edited by jayrulez; 03 August 2015, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
        It already works with Linux.

http://lumina-desktop.org/get-lumina/
        And that's the only port that will matter for Lumina. Even when barely anyone will use it on the Linux side, there will be far less in BSD because so few people "like" BSD and one of those zealots, only a tiny percentage will try it out on VMWare as a desktop.

Lumina should just leave BSD and focus on Linux and make use of systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post

And that's the only port that will matter for Lumina. Even when barely anyone will use it on the Linux side, there will be far less in BSD because so few people "like" BSD and one of those zealots, only a tiny percentage will try it out on VMWare as a desktop.

Lumina should just leave BSD and focus on Linux and make use of systemd.
          You know what, I take that back because of my live changing experience of recently using Lumina on Arch Linux and PC-BSD (VirtualBox).

The user experience is so poor that it fell unnatural to do even the simplest things like opening the menu. It fell as though the "devs" have took pieces from different places that don't fit with each other and glued them to together onto some terrible pile of shit. Also, the whole thing feels really heavy and the startup process often hangs for 30 mins. Opening windows could cause the whole thing to hang. It's all totally fked up. There are so many gitches and errors.

Every sane person can agree that is the worst DE ever build.

It will be humane to everyone if this DE be put down as soon as possible. Please.

Comment

*snip*
            20 minutes endman? Seriously? couldn't you wait like an hour or so to make your story actually have a semblance of being believable? Troll harder next time.

Comment

You know what, I take that back because of my live changing experience of recently using Lumina on Arch Linux and PC-BSD (VirtualBox).

The user experience is so poor that it fell unnatural to do even the simplest things like opening the menu. It fell as though the "devs" have took pieces from different places that don't fit with each other and glued them to together onto some terrible pile of shit. Also, the whole thing feels really heavy and the startup process often hangs for 30 mins. Opening windows could cause the whole thing to hang. It's all totally fked up. There are so many gitches and errors.

Every sane person can agree that is the worst DE ever build.

It will be humane to everyone if this DE be put down as soon as possible. Please.
              Your stupid is showing.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                20 minutes endman? Seriously? couldn't you wait like an hour or so to make your story actually have a semblance of being believable? Troll harder next time.
                I'm sorry but I had been using Lumina since the beginning of this year up to now on PC-BSD in VirtualBox and Arch Linux on bare metal. I have every right to comment on the deficiencies of Lumina and I think it's for the good of software quality that I express my experiences with it.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                  Your stupid is showing.
                  You and Luke_Wolf are in denial about the state of Lumina and BSD in general.

You need to see the truth. Try actually using Lumina for once rather then judging it base on some beautified screenshot with description full of lies posted by some BSD fanboy. Lumina is a lost cause. It has terrible user experience, prohibits productivity and has poor reliability.

Comment

I'm sorry but I had been using Lumina since the beginning of this year up to now on PC-BSD in VirtualBox and Arch Linux on bare metal. I have every right to comment on the deficiencies of Lumina and I think it's for the good of software quality that I express my experiences with it.
                    You have been using it since the beginning of the year, and yet you only changed your opinion on it from "Only Linux Users will use it" to "Lumina is an abomination and should die" in 20 minutes yesterday? That is what I'm incredulous at endman. I think it more likely that in that 20 minute span you found out that it was licensed under BSD, and so "it must die" because of that.

That said I actually should check it out, so I'll check it out and post my own thoughts on it later.

Comment

Working...
                    X