X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schadenfreude?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      as a laugh, a co worker of mine upgraded his Microsoft Surface Pro tablet from MIcrosoft Windows 8.1 to Microsoft Windows 10. (all these extra Microsofts are for emphasis) Once the upgrade had completed he had no networking capabilities. none. Not even with the official Microsoft branded Ethernet Adaptor. Turns out he had some (rather common) Cisco VPN software installed that caused the whole thing to bork. GG Quality Testing!
      Why is MS on the hook for QA'ing a 3rd party's software? I mean sure, hate MS and everything, but, that's pretty much on the VPN vendor to QA and update their own shit.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post

Why is MS on the hook for QA'ing a 3rd party's software? I mean sure, hate MS and everything, but, that's pretty much on the VPN vendor to QA and update their own shit.
        Because one of the massive advantages of Windows against Linux is the backwards compatibility even with 10+ years old software. It shows they are putting less effort into this release.

Comment

I'm sure the vast majority of these upgrades are people taking advantage of their free upgrades. If people were required to pay, I'm sure we'd see less than 1/4 of the results.

Comment

I understand all the anti-Windows FUD on here, but for the vast majority of users it's a smooth upgrade from 7/8 to 10. 10 is faster and just as stable. I still run Linux on the majority of my systems, but there are some unavoidable situations where Windows must be used still and thus far it seems like their best effort. The first day "force windows 10 upgrade" was a popular search because people didn't want to wait. The 67 million figure is most likely a conservative one as Windows users were willing to delve into the command line to get this upgrade, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
              I understand all the anti-Windows FUD on here, but for the vast majority of users it's a smooth upgrade from 7/8 to 10. 10 is faster and just as stable. I still run Linux on the majority of my systems, but there are some unavoidable situations where Windows must be used still and thus far it seems like their best effort.
              I undertand you too somehow, but do you know what I reading now from you I also readed on Windows XP release days - same thing, just another man with low posts (or maybe he isn't another one )... And i am not neither ghost of Sigmund Freud, nor that i am on heroine...

Nothing personal, might be Deja Vu

Linux was there fully working for anyone who want to use it at the time of Windows XP relase date, Windows 95 was just like Windows 7 now, and there was 98/SE/Me like 8/8.1

Deja Vu

Comment

Scimmia...is that Plutonian for asshole ?

My point is....and maybe I should have been clearer....is that these numbers, like statistics, have the capability of leading uninformed people to think that Windows 10 is already a GREAT success. Which it is clearly not. How many of those 67 million installs are on the net being quantified at this precise moment. My guess would be very small.

And to your snarky comment about me not knowing what the upgrade cycle is like. Most users of Windows are "unsuspecting". They always believe that THIS upgrade will fix all the broken crap from the last time. I've known this since the first upgrade I did was on a VAX Mainframe in 1979, junior.

Run along and troll somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  And to your snarky comment about me not knowing what the upgrade cycle is like. Most users of Windows are "unsuspecting". They always believe that THIS upgrade will fix all the broken crap from the last time. I've known this since the first upgrade I did was on a VAX Mainframe in 1979, junior.

Run along and troll somewhere else.
                  Troll somewhere else? You might want to take you own advice.

Let me make this simple. There is no "PUSH" upgrade like you are stating. Your entire premise is false.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                    I hope not, there's going to be floods of people with driver issues. For instance, realtek drivers seem to break if you try to change any of the device settings...
                    Still?

I recall this being an issue back on I think 10159, but heard it was fixed in a future build. Could be possible it was broken again though I guess.

If anything, my only driver problem was with a USB webcam (some Logitech thing). Would only show up black on OBS occasionally when Logitech's driver was (forcibly) installed. Could almost have dealt with it, but Microsoft insists that the driver is required, and even auto-installed it with a metered connection enabled.

Considering the computer I use requires that webcam working, it's back on 7.
                    Last edited by Guest; 01 August 2015, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                      As someone who used to work retail computer sales, I would take this number not just with a grain of salt but with a DANGEROUSLY high amount. My suspicion is that this is NOT sell through numbers. That is to say, 67 million people just did not go out and buy new computers with Windows 10 pre-installed. Nor did they buy it off the shelf. More than likely, this number is some combination of PUSHED upgrades to suspecting or unsuspecting Windows 8 users....( you have my condolences ).....and orders to OEM's and major brands like HP, Dell, and Lenovo that have not even reached the channel yet.

This is akin to car manufacturers touting that they have the highest "INITIAL" quality awards for a particular make of car. Great....but give it a short time and it's dead on the side of the road as a rusted hulk. Same with Windows. Let's see how many of these installs STICK.
                      It's not a push upgrade though. All of the users actually first asked the upgrade to be done, then accepted the upgrade

Comment

Working...
                      X