Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Reportedly On 67+ Million PCs Already

Phoronix: Windows 10 Reportedly On 67+ Million PCs Already

Well, it looks like the Free Software Foundation's message about Windows 10 wasn't too effective: reportedly, as of this morning, Windows 10 has already been installed on more than 67 million PCs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, the xbox had zero (non-insider) users before launch, so in case we wait SteamOS as the Messiah, we are still ahead!

Comment

I hope not, there's going to be floods of people with driver issues. For instance, realtek drivers seem to break if you try to change any of the device settings...

Comment

Well, it looks like the Free Software Foundation's message about Windows 10 wasn't too effective...
        It must be that sarcasm like this is what drives clickbaitism to its success

Comment

As someone who used to work retail computer sales, I would take this number not just with a grain of salt but with a DANGEROUSLY high amount. My suspicion is that this is NOT sell through numbers. That is to say, 67 million people just did not go out and buy new computers with Windows 10 pre-installed. Nor did they buy it off the shelf. More than likely, this number is some combination of PUSHED upgrades to suspecting or unsuspecting Windows 8 users....( you have my condolences ).....and orders to OEM's and major brands like HP, Dell, and Lenovo that have not even reached the channel yet.

This is akin to car manufacturers touting that they have the highest "INITIAL" quality awards for a particular make of car. Great....but give it a short time and it's dead on the side of the road as a rusted hulk. Same with Windows. Let's see how many of these installs STICK.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            I hope not, there's going to be floods of people with driver issues. For instance, realtek drivers seem to break if you try to change any of the device settings...
            But... only linux has driver problems!

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              As someone who used to work retail computer sales, I would take this number not just with a grain of salt but with a DANGEROUSLY high amount. My suspicion is that this is NOT sell through numbers. That is to say, 67 million people just did not go out and buy new computers with Windows 10 pre-installed. Nor did they buy it off the shelf. More than likely, this number is some combination of PUSHED upgrades to suspecting or unsuspecting Windows 8 users....( you have my condolences ).....and orders to OEM's and major brands like HP, Dell, and Lenovo that have not even reached the channel yet.
              Apparently reading comprehension isn't high on your list, either. They said it was installed on 67 million PCs, so of course the number includes upgrades. You also seem to have no idea how the upgrade works if you think it was pushed on "unsuspecting" users.

Comment

as a laugh, a co worker of mine upgraded his Microsoft Surface Pro tablet from MIcrosoft Windows 8.1 to Microsoft Windows 10. (all these extra Microsofts are for emphasis) Once the upgrade had completed he had no networking capabilities. none. Not even with the official Microsoft branded Ethernet Adaptor. Turns out he had some (rather common) Cisco VPN software installed that caused the whole thing to bork. GG Quality Testing!

Comment

This update has been one of the most half baked MS has ever done. After updating a few strings are untranslated, you get like 4 types of right click menus (for the first time linux is more consistent than this mess), the start menu has a bug once it exceeds 500 entries, one of the initial post installation updates broke explorer.exe for some users, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
                    They said it was installed on 67 million PCs, so of course the number includes upgrades. You also seem to have no idea how the upgrade works if you think it was pushed on "unsuspecting" users.
                    Who are they? He is anonymous:

A Microsoft employee who wishes to remain anonymous to the public has informed Windows Central that as of 8 AM this morning, the Windows 10 OS has reportedly been installed on a massive 67 million machines.
                    Technically spoken neither Microsoft claim this, neither we know who is anonymous... he can be even fired tommorow if he really exists and we will still don't know thing about it
                    Last edited by dungeon; 31 July 2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X