Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSF Issues A Statement Over Windows 10

Phoronix: FSF Issues A Statement Over Windows 10

The Free Software Foundation has issued a warning this week over the newly-released Windows 10 while blasting Microsoft...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Got to say this is the first thing I thought of reading this article.

Comment

GNU/Linux - We got free solitaire without ads!

Comment

I installed it in a VM yesterday and man, it is a lot of personal information they will collect from you if you don't read all the little options during the initial configuration. They made Shuttleworth looks like a saint in comparison. You can turn off everything, but we all know that 99% of the Windows users will click next-next-next as fast as they can to finish the installation.

And if you upgrade from a previous version, they made Edge the default browser and Bing the default search engine, ignoring your previous configuration.

Comment

"Hey, Cortana. Install GNU/Linux."

"Bing search for new linax."

Comment

What I immediately thought when I read the article title. See'ing FSF's comment is NOT going to convert any windows user to GNU/Linux.

Comment

I dont like this downplay of that statements.

I see way to much press coverage about windows 10, I get that the newssites cant ignore it but 3 4 top headlines of a day because a useless garbage.

I get that many people use windows but they need first of all the binary compatibility to office adobe and the games thats the main value of windows at the moment, its not like there are gigantic differences between windows 7 8 or 10.

I get it if the name of the site is windows-world.com or something like that but sites like heise or computerbase dont have to write everf 6 months 1 news/article about fedora release but even before windows really got released (only released true insider programm not in shops) 10 article about it.

It is no hype that journalists cover, no the journalist create here a hype about nothing, there is no reason anybody would pay money for that software when they got windows 7 or 8 with their pc.

I ask myself if microsoft pays some of the press to cover this so absurdly often. yes there are more users than linux desktop users (what is not all) but as enother example android is the most used os, I dont think new versions of android had that much press coverage.

So one reminder that this is really crap from somewhere in this hypetime (when people see a hype they often stop thinking or think at least less).

maybe I am here at the wrong site so your coverage seemed reasonable.

do get the press get send free noteboots with windows 10 that they can keep when thef write 1000 artikles in the first month about it or how does that work?
              Last edited by blackiwid; 31 July 2015, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                What I immediately thought when I read the article title. See'ing FSF's comment is NOT going to convert any windows user to GNU/Linux.
                Actually, worse... it'll drive them off, and make them less prone to want to switch if they see it

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  And if you upgrade from a previous version, they made Edge the default browser and Bing the default search engine, ignoring your previous configuration.
                  I updated from 8.1 and kept opera as my default browser.

There is an option in the installation process that allows this.

Also, that's not a big deal. You can simply change the default browser if you didn't utilize the option during installation.

Comment

Everything said is true, I don't know where all the hate towards the FSF comes from.

Comment

Working...
                    X