Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 10.2 Beta 1 Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FreeBSD 10.2 Beta 1 Released

    Phoronix: FreeBSD 10.2 Beta 1 Released

    The first beta of the upcoming FreeBSD 10.2 release is now available. Besides the generic FreeBSD 10.2-BETA1 spins for x86, x86_64, IA64, PowerPC, PowerPC 64-bit, and SPARC 64-bit, there are also ARMv6 spins for the Beaglebone, CuBox-Hummingboard, RaspberryPi B, and Wandboard...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...SD-10.2-Beta-1

  • #2
    Installing it now...

    Comment


    • #3
      Generally speaking, it is safe to say that freebsd is totally irrilevant nowdays.

      Linux and its ecosystem really beats it in most (i say all) areas.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        Generally speaking, it is safe to say that freebsd is totally irrilevant nowdays.

        Linux and its ecosystem really beats it in most (i say all) areas.
        Not really. PC-BSD is doing really interesting work that Linux Desktop Distros are too lazy to do, and FreeBSD as a server is still very relevant.

        Comment


        • #5
          So false, last year FreeBSD Foundation received $2,6 millions.

          Comment


          • #6
            I was a big fan of freebsd until it lost the opencl war. I was really excited about it for a number of reasons... but the new game is offloading compute. Because of that it will be relegated to simple server tasks only... smtp server, ldap server, web server.... nas. It is great at sending files fast, but I need more than that.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              Not really. PC-BSD is doing really interesting work that Linux Desktop Distros are too lazy to do, and FreeBSD as a server is still very relevant.
              AFAIK PC-BSD successfully replaced OpenSSL with LibreSSL. OTOH they still have a crappy init system. The launchd port is WIP since years.

              The infrastructure of Whatsapp runs on FreeBSD. At least for now. https://www.whatsapp.com/opensource/
              Facebook already announced to work on Linux features where it lacks compared to FreeBSD. Apparently that's easier than closing the gaps where FreeBSD is lacking...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                Generally speaking, it is safe to say that freebsd is totally irrilevant nowdays.

                Linux and its ecosystem really beats it in most (i say all) areas.
                Honestly, I disagree. I think Linux kernel politics are killing linux. So many features available to userspace in other *nix platforms that just aren't in linux(see, for example, the recent getrandom debacle.)

                It isn't even possible to implement an allocator on linux that will perform anywhere *near* a freeBSD allocator, jemalloc has had to work around hack after hack to get even decent performance on linux(and it fucking runs circles around glibc's honestly) see: https://lwn.net/Articles/591214/

                Furthermore, the fact that we have to use modded kernels to get the best desktop performance is ridiculous. Linux out of the box settings are also absolute trash for desktop usage - ondemand CPU governor's default settings has been broken for years for example, and you can get a 30-40% system speedup just by tweaking a few settings. But really, this isn't a linux issue but more of a WHY THE FUCK ARE DESKTOP DISTROS USING THESE SETTINGS?? issue.

                If they ever release a new cathedral and bazaar, I hope they use linux as the cathedral example.
                Last edited by peppercats; 07-12-2015, 06:33 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bpetty View Post
                  I was a big fan of freebsd until it lost the opencl war.
                  openCL war? What openCL war? It's seen minimal adoption as a standard, and is mostly irrelevant for the time being for either Linux or FreeBSD, plus if you look here https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics/OpenCL they've got it working basically but according to https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics they need to wait to drop FreeBSD 8.x support to merge it in.

                  Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

                  AFAIK PC-BSD successfully replaced OpenSSL with LibreSSL. OTOH they still have a crappy init system. The launchd port is WIP since years.
                  Well PC-BSD and FreeBSD pipecleaning the use of LibreSSL and Clang is important too but not what I was referring to.

                  I was referring to the fact that PC-BSD though in a rough shape is actually being developed as a complete integrated Desktop OS and so are doing cool desktop stuff like Warden, TrueCrypt, and Boot Environments where they're exposing and taking advantage of advanced OS features. Whereas Linux desktop distros at this point are mostly leaving such things up to for example KDE or GNOME.

                  As far as their init system goes, BSDInit was vastly superior to SysV Init so they're not as hard pressed on that point, but AFAICT the conclusion that has been drawn is that launchd is too specific to darwin and mach, and based on the mailing lists the current plan looks to be to go for nosh http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonatha...ares/nosh.html

                  Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  The infrastructure of Whatsapp runs on FreeBSD. At least for now. https://www.whatsapp.com/opensource/
                  Facebook already announced to work on Linux features where it lacks compared to FreeBSD. Apparently that's easier than closing the gaps where FreeBSD is lacking...
                  WhatsApp, Netflix, Limelight Networks...between just them probably accounts for half of the bandwidth usage of North America...

                  As far as facebook is concerned their choices like Google are probably as much political as technical although if I had to guess and the issue was neither inertia nor politics, my guess would be that their issue is that the BSD virtualization stack is quite primitive at this point, but Bhyve is coming along, and FreeBSD now has an initial port of Docker. So that is being resolved.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                    Honestly, I disagree. I think Linux kernel politics are killing linux. So many features available to userspace in other *nix platforms that just aren't in linux(see, for example, the recent getrandom debacle.)

                    It isn't even possible to implement an allocator on linux that will perform anywhere *near* a freeBSD allocator, jemalloc has had to work around hack after hack to get even decent performance on linux(and it fucking runs circles around glibc's honestly) see: https://lwn.net/Articles/591214/
                    This is perhaps one of my biggest issues with the Linux ecosystem (beyond my issues with GNU), there are large sections of the core infrastructure that are honestly just crap that everyone is afraid to touch, ALSA and Iptables immediately comes to mind. However instead of fixing the core infrastructure you get hack over hack layered on top of the crap. The BSDs are rather primitive on various fronts in comparison to Linux, but they don't AFAICT have this problem.

                    Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                    Furthermore, the fact that we have to use modded kernels to get the best desktop performance is ridiculous. Linux out of the box settings are also absolute trash for desktop usage - ondemand CPU governor's default settings has been broken for years for example, and you can get a 30-40% system speedup just by tweaking a few settings. But really, this isn't a linux issue but more of a WHY THE FUCK ARE DESKTOP DISTROS USING THESE SETTINGS?? issue.

                    If they ever release a new cathedral and bazaar, I hope they use linux as the cathedral example.
                    Well I think it basically boils down to two things:
                    First, Linux distros are trying to be generic as opposed to focused integrated solutions, and as a result are overly obsessed with being "Vanilla" to their detriment

                    Second, All of the major important distros treat the desktop as a second class citizen. Canonical, Red Hat, and SUSE all pay lip service to the desktop, and may even dump money into their desktop infrastructure of choice, but at the end of the day these companies, and as a result the distros that they foster, really only care about the server space as a product. I don't blame them at all, but we need to be honest about that.

                    This is why PC-BSD is exciting and may in fact be a game changer in OSS space in the long run.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X