OpenBSD ejects sudo from "base" after developers quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD ejects sudo from "base" after developers quit

Early in OpenBSD's existence, the developers added sudo to the base system in an attempt on woo Ubuntu users. The decision has cushioned OpenBSD's steady loss in usage share for a long time and have delayed the operating system's extinction. But now the developers in charge of adding custom patches to sudo to give it better "security" has left due to an altercation OpenBSD's bull headed dictator Theo de Raadt resulting in sudo being ejected from the so called "base system" casing further doubt on the future if this already failed operating system and it's cult following.

Originally posted by endman View Post
    Early in OpenBSD's existence, the developers added sudo to the base system in an attempt on woo Ubuntu users.
    Wasn't sudo added in OpenBSD 2.0 (pre 1997)? Ubuntu started october 2004.
    I believe, it doesn't makes sense for any OS to woo Ubuntu.

Originally posted by endman View Post
    The decision has cushioned OpenBSD's steady loss in usage share for a long time and have delayed the operating system's extinction. But now the developers in charge of adding custom patches to sudo to give it better "security" has left due to an altercation OpenBSD's bull headed dictator Theo de Raadt resulting in sudo being ejected from the so called "base system" casing further doubt on the future if this already failed operating system and it's cult following.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/current.html#20150703
    If OpenBSD fails, their devs and users will have to join another community. The 9front community is very awesome.

Comment

"su -" is really hard to type. I don't think I could run an OpenBSD system anymore. Woe is me.

Comment

I almost always use "su" instead of sudo. Sudo has always been a raging tire fire waiting to happen. I would rather translate a perl regex hairball to Common Lisp than be tasked with configuring sudo safely for any system with multiple admins. I love my OpenBSD systems. PF is a great firewall and 5.7's radeon support is spectacular for entertainment and GPGPU computing.

There was no blowup between OpenBSD and sudo developers. Sudo is unsafe in a number of situations. If DOAS, the sudo replacement, makes it into 5.8 I'm probably going to kill it with fire on my setups.

OpenBSD survives not in spite of its small userbase, but because its small userbase attracts the sort of users who solve problems.

Ubuntu has its niches, but for general purpose computing I have no plns to leave OpenBSD.

Sidenote: For the longest time on OpenBSD to actually use sudo you had to edit the sudoers file anyways. Also... Sudo is still going to persist on OpenBSD in ports and packages. Not every piece of software needs or ought to live in the base system.

Comment

Working...
        X