OS X "El Capitan" Aims To Offer Better Performance, Metal Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    ooof. I figured Metal would be coming to the desktop eventually. Which means games too, of course.

It seems like we were moving towards "everybody should use OpenGL to target all the platforms in one shot" to "every platform will have its own API".
    True but I think Apple, AMD and MS had little choice here. The OpenGL team simply wasn't supportive until they realized everybody was giving up on them.

By the way El Cap seems to be awesome. Well for the last 20 minutes any way - very snappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
      Ohh that's very interesting. I am really curious how they beat Metal, an API explicitly designed for shared-memory GPU systems, to work on desktops. Unless they actually adapted (and thus changed) the buffer API, this smells like a big bucket of hackery.
      The overwhelming vast majority of their systems are in fact systems with integrated GPU's and those numbers will only increase. I don't see this as a big problem. In a machine supporting a discreet GPU I would hope that the integrated can be used as an accelerator at the same time. The next couple of days will be interesting, they did say that Metal was expanded a bit for the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Metal is a platform exclusive API on a platform where the number of gamers is very low. Well, good luck, Apple...
        I think that is a bit misleading. Metal supports long standing Apple API's, such as Core Graphics, on top of it. As such Metal should make many things in Mac OS faster.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3
          Also i really hope they apple open sources metal like they have just announced they will do with their swift programming language.
          "Open sourcing" makes no sense in the context of Metal; an API specifciation cannot be open source because it contains no source code.

Comment

Originally posted by klaphark View Post
            Don't forget that Metal is also available on mobile devices with Apple A7 soc or newer so the number of gamers is increasing rapidly. This development is pretty sad to be honest because it reduces the changes for Vulkan to become a relevant 3D API or gain any traction.

The only party I can currently think of that could benefit from Vulkan is Valve, other (big) players role their own platform specific API (Microsoft, Apple) or support all of them (Unity 3D, Unreal) so they won't care if Vulkan succeeds or fails. Vulkan may technically be better than OpenGL but with a shrinking userbase it's pretty much off to a false start I guess .

Android userbase (~85%) >>>> ios (~11%)

Am pretty sure Google is not going to make yet another API.

So I don't see any false start here. Sure it will take a while, but normal openGL and Vulkan are still as relevant as ever and in the end they are the real crossplatform standards.

Just like Flash and Silverlight are becoming extinct thanks to html5 and seeing what happen back in the day the "Glide API": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glide_API

All others will just suffer the same fate, we've been that road already.

Anyway sometimes you do have to place some pressure on Open source: I.E. Thanks to Mir, the Wayland backers woke up and now wayland is going strong. FOSS always needs some type of competition IMO (for there to be good , there needs to be some type of "evil"... lol)

Comment

Well that's Apple! As always they try to control as much as they can. They're worse than Microsoft in the early days and we all know that ms didn't even respect laws to succeed in business.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                Just like Flash and Silverlight are becoming extinct thanks to html5 and seeing what happen back in the day the "Glide API": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glide_API
                Glide died because it was tied to 3dfx hardware, and 3dfx simply got obliterated by NVIDIA in the market. As far as design goes, Glide was extraordinarily powerful. Heck, N64 emulators still have a Glide plugin to this day, since some features of the N64 are near impossible to emulate using D3D/OGL, but are easily done using Glide. [Then again, the N64 is just WEIRD form a HW perspective].

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                  They're worse than Microsoft in the early days and we all know that ms didn't even respect laws to succeed in business.
                  No. Just no. IOS only has 20% or so market share, Mac OSX has 10%.

Microsoft had 98% market share, they controlled *everything*.

Comment

Anyway sometimes you do have to place some pressure on Open source: I.E. Thanks to Mir, the Wayland backers woke up and now wayland is going strong. FOSS always needs some type of competition IMO (for there to be good , there needs to be some type of "evil"... lol)
                    What a tired meme. Mir had absolutely nothing to do with the development speed of Wayland; by the time Mir popped up, Wayland was already going full speed ahead. In fact, if you had only followed the Wayland mailing list at the time and not phoronix or reddit, you wouldn't even have noticed Mir was happening at all.

Comment

I honestly see Silverlight lasting longer than Flash. In the few things that use it (that I've used), it has been very smooth and responsive. The other reason for it sticking around is because Microsoft.

Comment

Working...
                      X