Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering If HP Will Release Linux++ This Month

Phoronix: Wondering If HP Will Release Linux++ This Month

Back in 2014 HP made waves over announcing work on "The Machine" that will be a much more efficient computer design than the status quo and that there'd be a new Linux++ / Carbon operating system. Last year they said in "June 2015" they expected to have out Linux++ for emulating the new hardware design...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...inux-Plus-Plus

I was wondering about this too. I was pretty excited about The Machine but we've heard nothing. At this point I predict HP will silently ignore that they ever said anything.

However, they might surprise me so I wouldn't put money on it.

Comment

HP is 3-4 years late in delivering the memristor technology to market that The Machine is based on, so I wouldn't hold them to a specific month for the OS.

Comment

Don't make fun of the PR department's vapourware. You know that you were meant to have forgotten about this by now...

Comment

The video is just amazing, I am totally hypnotized and feel like I must jump everywhere. I really mean everywhere. Even on the roof of my car.

To be honest I understood just nothing about all those blue arrows and circles and squares and boom-chica-chica-boom but I feel energized.

Free drug for all! Thanks HP!

Comment

Aww, come on Michael, you should have worded the headline "Will HP Release Linux++ This Month?" to invoke Betteridge

Comment

How scalable are the efficiencies? Will this enable a full-service cloud that cuts out the middleman? How much wood would a woodchuck chuck before The Machine becomes self-aware and answers the questions of tomorrow today?

Needs more synergy.

Marketing speak is like a used toilet paper Rorschach test.
              Last edited by eidolon; 02 June 2015, 08:42 AM.

Comment

eidolon The Monkey Island reference is a nice touch. +1

Comment

Can't say that I'm too amazed that HP has yet to live up to the marketing hype.
                  Back when the original story was released I wrote [1]:

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

Thus far "the machine" sound like a huge marketing hype based on HP Moonshots with better interconnect technology.
                  Granted, if HP actually manages to get memristors into production at a reasonable price, this will indeed change the computing landscape, but HP is not known for being particularly innovative company (Even though I rather like their servers and workstations and used many of them).

Time will tell, I guess.
                  - Gilboa
                  [1] http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...825#post597825
                  Devel: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 32GB, 6x2TB, 1x256GB-SSD, GTX1080, F33, Dell UP3216Q 4K.
                  oVirt: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 96GB, 10x2TB, GTX550, CentOS8.3.
                  Win10: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 5x1TB, GTX980, Win10Pro.
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33, Dell U2711.
                  Laptop: ASUS Strix GL502V, i7-6700HQ, 32GB, 1TB+256GB, 1070M, F33.

Comment

The video is impressive! They have good artists.

Comment

Working...
                    X