Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft's Visual C++ Team Is Improving Clang For Windows

Phoronix: Microsoft's Visual C++ Team Is Improving Clang For Windows

While LLVM's Clang has been supported on Windows for some time and there's been improvements made to the Clang Windows support over the years by various vendors, Microsoft is now working on Clang within Visual Studio...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

you should probably add that they're doing this because they intend for the new windows phone to run ios apps, and they need an obj-c compiler.

Comment

rather they trying to attract developers to their tools and their platform.
      I hope this attempt will fail because of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace...tinguishrather
      After I read about this strategy I will never belive to M$

Comment

On one hand their visual Studio is great, and on the other its unlikely tthat clang will be a feature-complete like their own compiler.
        Would be really surprised if hot code replacing will work, thats a rather feature I havent seen in the alternatives.

Anyway, vs + clang is already the official toolchain for the ps, so quite possibly there is little left to do.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          On one hand their visual Studio is great,
          I can't understand what people like in this IDE. I using it for a while it's run like garbage for me and standard version lack of so many features and in the same time so many people pretend that this is the best IDE out there. I'm really CONFUSED !!!

Comment

For me its far more thought-out ui, and the features just plainly work - even if you stray from the casual paths.
            Im using eclipse cdt for years, and while its modular it will very fast turn into a horrible mess. Just add some moduletest and valgrind and there will be tons of little switches, and every mew version something will break (currently gdb will sporadically quit, with arm cortexes the disassembly window will have to be openen twice before it works, etc)
            And its rather sluggish too

If a commercial vendor would come with a useable alternative, why not? Could save me alot time maintaining all the ide issues.
            Right now eclipse has a rather unhealthy Monopol with embedded development (most commercial ide are based on it aswell)

Visual Studio might be more limited, but what it does, it does well (sounds familiar?)

Comment

On one hand their visual Studio is great, and on the other its unlikely tthat clang will be a feature-complete like their own compiler.
              Would be really surprised if hot code replacing will work, thats a rather feature I havent seen in the alternatives.

Anyway, vs + clang is already the official toolchain for the ps, so quite possibly there is little left to do.
              What do you mean by feature-complete? Clang is blazing ahead of everything in supporting C++ versions.

Comment

Originally posted by vadix View Post
                What do you mean by feature-complete? Clang is blazing ahead of everything in supporting C++ versions.
                Sorry, I meant not all features of the ide will work with clang. Replacing code while debugging for example, this has always been an area where having everything tied together helps alot.

Comment

Originally posted by kalin View Post
                  rather they trying to attract developers to their tools and their platform.
                  I hope this attempt will fail because of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace...tinguishrather
                  After I read about this strategy I will never belive to M$
                  The sad thing is people attribute this practice to only Microsoft, but this is a common adn legitimate business practice across all businesses, not just software.

Comment

Sorry, I meant not all features of the ide will work with clang. Replacing code while debugging for example, this has always been an area where having everything tied together helps alot.
                    There is a project called Cling that is based on Clang that basically gives C++ REPL support. Microsoft could have leveraged this implementation, or done their own for those types of features. Also, in all cases, they are still using their internal engine to generate code, the compilers have been separated to support different binary generators.

Comment

Working...
                    X